Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srj19

Follow up: My Mint isn't very minty

srj19
14 years ago

It seems I've been hoping my lesser variety mint would improve but I've found better variety.

I posted last summer asking why my mint didn't seem as good as supermarket types. I suspected maybe the plant was overcrowed, not mature enough, wrong soil, wrong variety.

Seems like wrong variety was about right. I planted some spearmint that was Burpee if I recall correctly. It looks like mint, smells sort of minty, doesnt taste very minty in drinks. It might me ok in cooked dishes such as Pho, I haven't tried that yet.

When I was at the St Paul Farmers market I happened to see a vendor with a variety called "Kentucky Colonel", touted to be the best for just about everything. It's got a rounder leaf, a thicker leaf, a greener leaf, and the mint smell it better and probably twice as fragrant as other type I have. I came across this on the web, discussing how just about all mint grown from seed are not the greatest, it's pretty interesting. Sounds like the better mints are crosses and don't produce any seeds, and must be propogated from cuttlings and spliting root stock.

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=MagazineRack/Articles/mint.html

Comments (3)

Sponsored