Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdubow_gw

Is this looking cluttered? photos included

rdubow
16 years ago

Just wondering.....am I too full? Do I need to divide some things and give them away? My friends say my garden is looking "over grown" but I have like 12" spaces for me to manouver between almost everything! Does this look too full to all of you experienced gardeners??

I was thinking I wanted more reblooming perennials!!! All of the plants/flowers are perennials except the few marigolds, 1 cleome plant, 3 dwarf zinnia stems, sun flowers in the back with the 12 extra tomato plants that did not fit in my raised beds, and 2 low ground cover red flowers!!!

These photos are just of the sun/ pt sun area. I have more gardens...a full shade area as well as a bulb garden near my deck, but noone says those look too packed! Are my friends just crazy or am I crazy to think this looks good!

There are NO weeds even...except the few that I have let grow tall because they add texture! I check daily!

Any responses/opinions welcome!!!

Becca

Sorry photos are so big!

Comments (16)

• thisismelissa
    16 years ago

I think your garden is lovely.

I don't think it looks overgrown, but I do think it lacks depth and/or contrast. I think some more lime colored foliage and even some burgandy/purple would be good.... Maybe some coral bells? There are tons of choices, but I love the maturity of your garden!

Maybe your friends are trying to get some free plants outta ya!

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

Can't be overgrown.....I see soil there yet!! I love it that way.

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

Just wondering.....am I too full?

No way!! It's gorgeous! Looks like a lovely "work space" you have!
    Kristy :)

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

I hope I don't get flogged, but I think that the perfectly spaced, manicured, color coordinated, mulched, formula gardens are very boring. My philosophy is if there is open space, fill it. I like yours but I think you could use a few more plants ; I am now eyeing my neighbors blank canvas since I am running out of space.

• rdubow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses! I was a bit worried I had gone "over-board!"

What Burgandy colors can handle the sun??? My coral bells line my front walk way (14) and I have 2 more of them in the mostly shade garden on the other side of the yard,...but it seems they burn up if they are exposed to too much sun! Tropicanna Canna's would be nice but even Bachman's doesnt have them started right now! I just went looking yesterday! What other burgandy color plants are there for full sun???

I still see areas for plants too, but had to ask you guys "the pros!"

I feel like I need more variety...so what do I do with all hte plants this fall that I need to split? I wish Habitat for Humanity did some planting and could use donated plants for gardens! I thought of having a sale but I am not THAT familiar with what to ask for pricing or how much to pot up!

Thanks again for the imput!!! I really was worried....funny that this is all I have to worry about...selfish of me!
    bec

• meeperx
    16 years ago

I see you have some sumac in the back of your third photo-I think that looks nice and I would consider adding more shrubs to the back of your boarder for height and color contrast. Bachmans, home depot, etc sell nineback 'diablo' and 'summer wine'-both purple shades (or for gold-you could try dart's gold). A few flowering hydrangeas might look nice too-maybe pinky winky, limelight or peegee for the sunny spots and annabelle for the shady areas.

You have a lot of hosta in your garden beds-which is kind of confusing-because hosta is usually used as edging for a woodland boarder setting-and from the quantity and variety of your other plants-it seems like you might be trying for more of a cottage garden look.

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

What other burgandy color plants are there for full sun???

The first thing that comes to mind is Penstemon 'Husker Red'. I have quite a bit of that and it has a nice red hue to the plant. And the hummingbirds love the flowers as well even though they aren't red.

And I don't know how you feel about annuals but maybe you could plug some in toward the front. There are a few varieties of Coleus that would work if you're into those.

Kristy :)

• sjmarq
    16 years ago

Your garden is lovely, but I agree with the comment about contrast.

How about one of the varieties of red barberry? I've got some small ones at the front of my border.

I didn't notice much for sliver - how about some artemisia or Russian sage.

• gamebird
    16 years ago

It's not overgrown, but it's not... I don't know... artsy. The plants themselves are lovely and healthy and have plenty of room, but their arrangement lacks some kind of visual appeal. They look all kind of mixed up and not in the good way that a bunch of competiting prairie flowers of 20 different types would look mixed up. Maybe it's contrast. I don't know, but I agree with your friends that it doesn't look right for some reason.

On the other hand, if it looks right to you, then it's right no matter what anyone else says!

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

I think that you have a great start--but imho you could use some punch of color. Red leaved plants or maybe some old fashioned hollyhocks in deep shades, or oriental lillies in deep shades (no more yellow or white) would add some interest. It would make your eye go to the color and then take in the rest. I feel you have enough soft shades and green and just need to add some accents of stronger color and height.
    Regardless it is not too crowded just lacking a little in color. Everything looks good so far!

• windytown
    16 years ago

Your garden is not cluttered at all. The plants look very strong and healthy and weed-free, hooray!

I agree with other posters that a dash of color would be a good addition, IMHO.

That's just personal aesthetics. I'm a 'clown's pants' type of gardener, which some find gauche. Others call it a cottage garden style.

Do what you love with your garden and what brings you joy. Find your own personal style and run with it.

Here's a pic of my not quite 3 yo garden, went from buider's hard clay to, well, 'clown's pants.'

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rdubow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going to head to Linder's tomorrow and check out some of the recommendations!!!! I KNOW it needs colors! I feel like things "bloom" then die then other colors "bloom" then die too....well I cut them off after they are done! This past week was ALL yellow and orange! Now there are a few peach daylillies and redish asiatic lillies opening and some purple veronica.I know it i strange to have hosta all along the front and then I do some annuals between them...I like the way they make it looked to "organized." Yes, my Tiger Eye Sumac has really taken off this year in the back corner! I hav Barberry bushes in my front yard next to my door and they are a cool red/purple but I want something RED for the garden!!!! It seems like I go in phases...first EVERYTHING in there was purple, then yellow, now more orangish tones! I can't seem to coordinate to get multiple colors at once!!!!

So.....what does everyone do with the plants they remove???? I would love to swap a few large clumps but it seems like everything I have everyone else has....or the friends I have (I am only 30) are just looking to GET free plants from me rather than have to buy them, like I did!

This garden has been in hte "works" for 40 years! I am the third gardener of it and have changed it a ton....maybe I did not such a good job of organizing it! I tend to split things and then move them around so it seems like I have only 20 varieties in all different combinations, all over! Well, really there is about 50 different "plants" or color varieties (never more than 2 colors of one variety)!!!!

I wrote down all of the recommendations and will go check them out tomorrow! I found a Linder's Garden Mart in Eagan so I will go head there..I just saw the post about a SALE there! YEAH! Then I will head to Bachman's to see the rest of what everyone recommended!!!! I think if the rabbits would have left my trellis's alone this year, there would have been colorful Clematis and morning glories but.....darn...this is the first year they have come in and munched away!!!! Bare trellises I have! I hate to spend 50.00 on annual vines to fill them... generally start my own seeds indoors (like I had done)!!!!!

I love the photo of the garden someone just posted! The thing is...my perennial gardens are like 1400 sq feet! along my back yard and side of the back yard! I REALLY want to RAISE the back of it all and tier the gardens as to incorporate hardscape with my plants, then reorganize by height appropriately!

Off to bed I go ...in the morning up to plant seek!!!
    Thanks again PRO's!!!!
    Becca

• sjmarq
    16 years ago

Stop focusing on bloom and start concentrating on foliage. Think about what is currently focal points in your garden - hosta and sumac - it's because of the folliage not the flowers. Vary the size/texture and the colors of your foliage and you'll be a long way to having a garden that looks good no matter what is in bloom.

• carmellia
    16 years ago

Windytown, I love the variety of heights, textures, and colors you have going. Carmellia

• windytown
    16 years ago

Thank you for the compliment Carmellia. :)

I just love this time of year!

Windy

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Hey, in my garden the family calls it the jungle and are afraid to venture in there which is the way I like it.

Nice garden. No blackeyed susans? I got some in a seed packet called garden mix along with a delicate similar flower that is purple and another that is pinkish. They are a good addition to my cluttered hill.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus