Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammymn_gw

Need recipes with dill

tammymn
14 years ago

I have tons and tons of dill. Besides tomatoe soup, cucumber-cream cheese with dill on pumpernickel bread , and dill veggie dip does anyone have any other recipes for dill. I am not a fan of fish I guess there recipes for that. Does anyone have anything I could use dill in? Thanks Tammy

Comments (7)

• rubybaby43
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mmm...I have a tasty 7-layer salad recipe that calls for dill. I've only used dried but fresh would be excellent in this. Great this time of the year too!

7-Layer Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 head each, lettuce and romaine broken in small pieces
    1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup cooked pasta shells
    1 small pkg thawed green peas
    green pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
    1/2 lb. ham, cubed (I use turkey ham)
    1/2 lb. swiss cheese, cubed
    Dressing
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 to 2 tsp dill (adjust with fresh dill)

Directions:

1. Make dressing ahead and chill: Mix mayo with dill weed.
    2. In large bowl add salad items one at a time.
    3. Add dressing just before serving. Add a little at a time to coat lightly or as desired.

Kristy :)

• tammymn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I wrote it down and will try it soon. I have lots of dill!!!!!!!!!!!

• boyle014
    14 years ago

Here are a couple recipes that celebrate Minnesota's Scandinavian heritage: cured salmon (gravlax) and aquavit. They both come from a cookbook by Marcus Samuelson, who used to own a restaurant in downtown Minneapolis.

GRAVLAX (a very sharp knife is essential for cutting ultra thin slices)
    1 cup sugar
    ½ cup kosher salt
    2 Tablespoons cracked white pepper
    2 ½ - 3 pounds sushi quality salmon, in one piece, any pin bones removed
    2 3 large bunches of dill

Combine the sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Place the salmon in a shallow dish and rub a handful of the salt mixture into both sides of the fish. Sprinkle the salmon with the remaining mixture and cover with the dill. Cover the dish and let stand for 6 hours in a cool spot.

Transfer to a refrigerator and let cure for 36 hours.

To serve, wipe off all of the seasoning. Slice the fish on the bias into very thin slices. Serve with mustard sauce. Great on bagels or pumpernickel bread.

Gravlax will keep in the refrigerator, well wrapped, for at least 7 days. It can be frozen, wrapped in plastic, and then in foil, for up to 2 months.

MUSTARD SAUCE
    Combine:
    2 Tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 ½ Tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 Tablespoon strong coffee
    pinch of salt
    pinch of pepper

Slowly whisk in:
    ¾ cup grapeseed or canola oil

Add:
    ½ cup chopped, fresh dill

Let sit for 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to marry.

LEMON, PEPPER, AND DILL AQUAVIT
    3 lemons, scrubbed
    1 1-liter bottle potato-based vodka
    ½ cup chopped fresh dill, including stems
    A few black peppercorns

With a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from 2 of the lemons in long strips, set the zest aside. Cut all of the lemons, including the peels into small cubes.

Put the lemons, lemon zest, dill, and peppercorns into a wide-mouthed, lidded jar that is large enough to hold the vodka and all the flavoring ingredients. Add the vodka and seal the jar. Let stand at room temperature for 6 to 8 weeks, until the full flavor has developed.

Strain the vodka into a pitcher or bowl, and pour it into a 1-liter bottle (the initial vodka bottle works for this). Add:
    3 fresh dill sprigs
    3 long strips lemon peel
    a few black peppercorns.

Seal the bottle and store in the freezer.

Serve the aquavit in ice-cold shot glasses (with a cold glass of beer on the side).

• selkie_b
    14 years ago

There are some wonderful recipes out there for Carrot Dill soup!

-Marie

• joyfulsnowflake
    14 years ago

We Chinese use dill to make dumplings (pot sticker), yummy. You can use up LOTS of dill this way.

1. Chop up dill finely.
    2. Mix with ground pork, green onion (chop), ginger (chop), salt, a little bit cooking oil (or sesame oil), soy sauce optional.
    3. Wrap in pot sticker wrap.
    4. To cook, you can boil, steam, or fry the pot stickers.

Here are some photos

chopped dill

pot sticker ready for steaming
    {{gwi:1050664}}

ready to eat

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Tammy, here are a couple:

Hot Dill Potato Salad
    (From Shirley Miller)

1T butter
    1T flour
    1/2tsp salt
    1/2tsp dry dill weed
    1c milk
    1/2c mayonnaise
    2T minced onion
    4c potatoes, cooked, peeled & diced

Melt butter, add flour and seasonings. Whisk in milk slowly, until mixture thickens. Add mayonnaise and onion, mix well. Fold in potatoes, place in casserole. Sprinkle with paprika, bake 30 minutes at 350F

These are the best dill pickles I have ever had, and no canner needed! The recipe is from a friend of mine on the Cooking Forum. Dill Pickles\-Chase (Sharon) INGREDIENTS: 8 pounds 3 to 4 inch long pickling cucumbers 4 cups white vinegar 12 cups water 2/3 cup pickling salt 16 cloves garlic, peeled and halved 8 sprigs fresh dill weed 8 heads fresh dill weed DIRECTIONS: 1.Wash cucumbers, and place in the sink ( I use the bathtub!) with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Soak in ice water for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours. Refresh ice as required. Sterilize 8 (1 quart ) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. 2.In a large pot over medium\-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, and pickling salt. Bring the brine to a rapid boil. 3.In each jar, place 2 half\-cloves of garlic, one head of dill, then enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 1 pound). Then add 2 more garlic halves, and 1 sprig of dill. Fill jars with hot brine. Seal jars, making sure you have cleaned the jar's rims of any residue. Store pickles for a minimum of 8 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening. Pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place. Sharon's notes: Here is more information about Dills than you ever wanted! I have no idea what exactly makes these pickles so good so I am religious about following the steps to the tee! I make these a bushel at a time, each bushel yields about 50 jars. If using less than a bushel you can usually count on between 6\-8 dills(cukes) per 1 quart jar, depending on size. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Salmon Balls in Dill Sauce Oil 2 scallions, minced 1 15\-1/2 oz can salmon, drained and flaked 1 c dried bread crumbs 1 T lemon juice 1 egg 8 oz sour cream Pepper Dill weed 1 c chicken broth Parsley for garnish Heat 1T oil in skillet over medium heat, add scallions and cook until tender. Remove to large bowl, add salmon, bread crumbs, lemon juice, egg, 1/4c sour cream, 1/4tsp pepper and 1/4tsp dill weed. Mix well, shape into 2 inch balls. Heat 2T oil in same skillet, over medium heat. Brown salmon balls, transfer to plate. Pour oil from skillet, add chicken broth, bring to boil, lower heat, stir in remaining sour cream, remaining dill weed and pepper. Return salmon balls to sauce and heat through. Serve hot. Makes 5 main dish servings or make balls one inch diameter for a wonderful appetizer! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ These are from the same person as the pickles. They are a little "putzy" bit sooooo good! Spanikopita 16 oz Phyllo Dough,thawed in the fridge for 24 hours 10 oz Frozen Spinach,thawed and drained of all liquid 3/4 lb Feta Cheese, 375 Grams 1/2 lb Cottage Cheese,pressed and drained about 1 cup 1/4 lb Cream Cheese,softened 3 Eggs 1/4 cup Fresh Dill,Chopped Fine Salt Pepper Nutmeg 3/4 cup Butter,melted In large bowl combine all ingredients except phylo and butter. Working with one sheet of phylo at a time, brush with melted butter and cut in 5 strips lengthwise. Place 1 spoonful of mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom, fold the bottom piece up over the filling and then fold up in a triangle shape. Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up , to the right ,up etc. Brush tops with more melted butter. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm NOTE: To freeze, place the uncooked spanikopita on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen place in bags or containers. When ready to serve place frozen spanikopita on a cookie sheet and bake. These are very easy to make, don't be fussed about the phylo just keep a tea towel over it while you are working. I promise you these will be a huge hit, with a bit of "Wow" factor. (Sharon Howard) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Greek Country Salad 2 c torn romaine leaves 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced 1 medium tomato cut in wedges 1/2 medium cucumber, thinly sliced 1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced 12 pitted black olives, sliced 1 T extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp capers, drained & rinsed 1 tsp white wine vinegar 1 tsp fresh lemon juice 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled In medium salad bowl, combine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and olives. Refrigerate until well chilled. In small bowl, combine oil, capers, vinegar, lemon juice and dill, mixing well. Toss with salad ingredients and top with feta cheese. Serve immediately.

That ought to use up some of that dill! LOL

Linda

• boyle014
    14 years ago

Those pot stickers look fabulous! And I've always wanted a good pickle recipe. I'll bet the garlic gives those pickles a little extra something.

BTW, in addition to the Cooking Forum, there is also an Herb Forum. That's a good place to get additional ideas.

Sponsored