Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID Help --New to Gardening

Posted by MinnetonkaJen MN Twin Cities (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 8:12

Hello,

Moved to Huge-Minnetonka-.58Acre-House in Winter (from Small-Seattle-Urban-NoGarden-Condo)...plants are everywhere and I have been busily trying to ID everything and taking out invasives and adding some natives. Need help with a few if you have the time!

Thanks in advance ...

One is green and clumping but seems to be spreading low in a landscaped garden. Pic attached

The other is sending up lots of shoots with reddish stems and greenish leaves with some red-purple in leaves...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID Help --New to Gardening

I was sitting next to my astilbe and looking at the leaf this afternoon. It reminded me of your photo, so maybe it is astilbe. Is it in a shaded area?

o

I agree with mnwsgal. It looks like an astilbe. Expect plumes of white to pink to red flowers in a few weeks if the weather ever warms up. Astilbe are a well-behaved plant in my experience. Have fun on your adventure. My lot is less than an acre and I still am amazed at what pops up. :) Please keep posting photos if you'd like. I enjoy IDing plants.

o

So glad you both took the time to ID these! It's been overwhelming to try to figure them all out in my own...

I'll let you know what happens with thiamine once we get some sun! I'm super excited to see them bloom-if so!

o

Looks lie Aruncus 'Goats Beard' to me. Will produce giant plumes of white flowers in a month or so.
By the way-there is a 'Name that plant' forum specifically for these questions. I use it all the time.

o

Hi Jen - I too live in Minnetonka. I've been here for 13 years. Prior to that lived near Cedar Lake in Minneapolis.
Where in Minnetonka are you? I live not far from Ridgedale. Feel free to email me through my member page. I would be happy to help you identify any mystery plants..... although I have a few of my own!

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here