Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinityklm

Ginkgo Trees

trinityklm
15 years ago

Where might I find Ginkgo trees in the Minneapolis area? I'm north west of the cities but can travel if necessary.

I'm looking to replace two Ash trees that appear to be succumbing to Ash Yellows.

Anything important I should know about the Ginkgos other than buy male--probably 'Autumn Gold'? I also know they are relatively slow growing. How slow?

I'd love to hear others' experiences with Ginkgos. Pictures would be great as well.

Comments (9)

• kaptainkr
    15 years ago

We have and Autumn Gold we planted 3 years ago. It's grown at least a couple of feet. The branching is perfect and it has a ton of leaves. Not much for fall color last year. We bought it at Linder's over in St. Paul. I was there a week ago and think they had a couple of different varieties. I would think any of the larger nurseries would carry them. The only thing I've done is water it during dry spells. My only problem is that I wish we would have planted it sooner. If you're looking for mature ginkgos, the landscape arboretum has huge trees.

• leaveswave
    15 years ago

We bought ours at Bachman's. Unless it's really important to you, consider getting a female. I don't know if it will still form fruit if it doesn't get pollinated, nor how likely that is, but homeowners focusing on male trees/shrubs has led to a huge jump in those susceptible suffering allergic reactions.

It does seem to be a slower growing tree...

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. i called Linders and they do still have some. I'll have to check them out. I'm a little concerned about the slow-growing part, since I'd like it to eventually screen our view of the neighbor's house. But I like that it is pretty disease/pest resistant.

I've heard that the female trees do make fruit even without pollination (or the pollination can happen across great distances.) Given what I've heard about the fruit, I'm pretty sure we don't want to deal with that.

The Linders trees were in #7 pots, so pretty small. Does Bachmans have bigger ones?

• ginkgonut
    15 years ago

The fruit is actually quite tasty once you clean the stinky part off.

Mine was a #10 from Bachman's. They may stock or you can order a #20 I think.

• leaveswave
    15 years ago

Studies have shown that within a few years of planting, smaller trees' growth usually catches up to larger trees.

• maidofshade
    15 years ago

I don't know if you want to experiment but at the Arboreteum they have seed machines where you can get a handfull of ginko seeds for a quarter also oak and kentucky coffee tree and one other that I can't recall right now. Part of the "treeology" a theme for this year.

• whaas_5a
    15 years ago

My neightbor here is in zone 4 with partial clay soil, planted an Autumn Gold Ginkgo that was 6ft tall. 13 years later its about 12 ft tall. They are extremely slow growing unless you have the perfect soil and condtions.

Downtown Milwaukee has an old apartment building with Ginkgos all over...I was actually in shock, I never saw so many mature Ginkgos. Its crazy how much of a different shape they had. I'd say only 1 had a round shape. These had to be at least 40ft trees.

In an older subdivision by me a home built in the 70's had a 50ft Ginkgo. Absolutely amazing fall color.

• nordbyc
    15 years ago

I don't know how far you wanna travel but Rochester planted some on the boulevard alongside the old telephone building downtown. It is a couple blocks south of the Kahler and they are on the north side of the street. We have one here in Lamberton and its forty years old and about 25 - 30 feet high. I've grown them from seed over the past 3 - 4 years and none of them are over 30 inches!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if you've found one or not but I bought one from Thomsen's Nursery in Cold Spring (north west of the metro) two years ago. Can't tell you what sized pot it was, but I'm sure you could call and ask.

It is a really nice greenhouse as well, worth the trip. They have several gardens with flowers, shrubs and trees on display (all marked).

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomsens Nursery

Sponsored