Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple in MN?

Posted by MinnetonkaJen none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 8:40

I saw a potted Japanese Maple at the landscape arboretum. Can they be grown here? We loved seeing these when in Seattle and I would love to grow them here if possible. But I don't have much room for overwintering...

If you have one, can you let me know how / here you grow it (and I you have any seedlings growing below that I could buy?)?

Thanks! Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple in MN?

I just returned one that I bought at Linders... it was a Bloodgood Japanese Maple; They are zone 5. So plant them close to the house. And surround them with bags of leaves. Most require filtered sunlight, so if you have a large tree providing shade, and are good with watering, then you can grow them, given the Japanese beetles don't like them(?). My friend has one 10ft? growing next to their screen porch in NE Mpls, and I am jealous. I had to return my potted plant due to not having enough shade aka filtered sunlight, as the leaves will get scorched. Linders on
Larpenteur has several different varieties, and I chose the smallest less expensive available. $60 (I had a scratch discount so it was half that). They all can live comfortable in containers if you want to bring them inside.

This post was edited by KittyWitty on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:34

o

They're iffy growing - or more accurately - wintering over in MSP.

There are Korean varieties that are a bit more hardy and quite similar in appearance.

o

No, the Japanese maple won't live in MN. Winters will kill it. You might get a year or two, but that's it. I had one in a pot that lived 3 years and that's with bringing it indoors.

o

I do not have a stunning pic of my Japanese maple, but it lives in zone 4, exposed, and is a lovely healthy tree

o

This one is about 20 years old and approximately 14' x 14'. Though they are not as large or as old, I have another 50 or so in the gardens and about the same number trialing in nursery beds. With the exception of Inabe Shidare, Ukigumo, and Benischihenze (I know I botched the spelling) which are grafted, all have been grown from seed and are on their own roots. The plant pictured is a seedling bought from Rice Creek Gardens and was about 6" tall when I planted it; all others I grew myself. My gardens are north of the Cities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here