Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnetonkajen

Japanese Maple in MN?

MinnetonkaJen
10 years ago

I saw a potted Japanese Maple at the landscape arboretum. Can they be grown here? We loved seeing these when in Seattle and I would love to grow them here if possible. But I don't have much room for overwintering...

If you have one, can you let me know how / here you grow it (and I you have any seedlings growing below that I could buy?)?

Thanks! Jenny

Comments (8)

• KittyWitty
    10 years ago

I just returned one that I bought at Linders... it was a Bloodgood Japanese Maple; They are zone 5. So plant them close to the house. And surround them with bags of leaves. Most require filtered sunlight, so if you have a large tree providing shade, and are good with watering, then you can grow them, given the Japanese beetles don't like them(?). My friend has one 10ft? growing next to their screen porch in NE Mpls, and I am jealous. I had to return my potted plant due to not having enough shade aka filtered sunlight, as the leaves will get scorched. Linders on
    Larpenteur has several different varieties, and I chose the smallest less expensive available. $60 (I had a scratch discount so it was half that). They all can live comfortable in containers if you want to bring them inside.

This post was edited by KittyWitty on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:34

• leaveswave
    10 years ago

They're iffy growing - or more accurately - wintering over in MSP.

There are Korean varieties that are a bit more hardy and quite similar in appearance.

• fredjohnson12
    10 years ago

No, the Japanese maple won't live in MN. Winters will kill it. You might get a year or two, but that's it. I had one in a pot that lived 3 years and that's with bringing it indoors.

• elisea2
    10 years ago

I do not have a stunning pic of my Japanese maple, but it lives in zone 4, exposed, and is a lovely healthy tree

• kms4me
    10 years ago

This one is about 20 years old and approximately 14' x 14'. Though they are not as large or as old, I have another 50 or so in the gardens and about the same number trialing in nursery beds. With the exception of Inabe Shidare, Ukigumo, and Benischihenze (I know I botched the spelling) which are grafted, all have been grown from seed and are on their own roots. The plant pictured is a seedling bought from Rice Creek Gardens and was about 6" tall when I planted it; all others I grew myself. My gardens are north of the Cities.

• Jamie Olson
    8 years ago

I have a Japanese maple in my Twin Cities patio, since about 2010 or so. I've pruned it & this is it in August 2013, still going strong! I love it, great autumn color!

• Jess TKA
    8 years ago

I'm in the NW burbs and my next door neighbor has had a Japanese maple that has done well for several years. It isn't especially sheltered, either.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths