Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy straw for mulching

Posted by SallyM z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 9:04

I am looking online for places to buy straw for mulching my vegetable garden and I'm not having much luck. It shouldn't be that hard to find straw in Minnesota, right? :) I see bales at Bachman's sometimes (and maybe that's hay, not straw), but I don't want to pay Bachman's prices. Where can I buy straw to use as mulch?
TIA,
Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy straw for mulching

I would also like to find a close source. I really only need one bale; how 'bout you Sally?

And isn't there something about straw vs. hay, and seeds?

o

I think your garden is bigger than mine leaves, sure about how much you need? I don't know how far a bale goes--mulchwise.
Yes, as I understand it, hay tends to have more seeds.

o

Kleirs Nursery, 56th and Nicollet Ave s, Mpls, has bales of hay or straw. I'm not sure which. Hope that helps, don't know where you two live. Karen

o

I'm in Plymouth and I only need it for the raised veg. beds. The rest of the half acre gets wood chips.

o

thank you, karen

o

There is a place right on Hwy. 10 north (west?) of Anoka that had straw bales for sale for $4 each. I saw it on my way home from a soccer game in Big Lake.

I, too, am looking for straw bales but I live in Shoreview. I'd love to find a place closer to home. If anyone knows of a source for straw bales in my neck of the woods, please share.

o

$4 is ridiculously high for someone with a 1/2 acre garden so I get free straw around town after fall and at the compost facilities and advertise here and there for it. I can get moldy hay free in large quantities and it is fine for mulch except it makes me get farmers' cough.

o

If you go to this show on Halloween night, you can get bales for pretty cheap. Plus it's a fun show!
http://barebonespuppets.org/halloween-show/

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 1:05

Drive around the country where they are baling straw and farmers may let you have one bale free or very cheaply but I will tell you now, with the draught straw and hay are prices are going up quickly.

I have seen old hay on farmers net markets for as low as a buck fifty a bale but most is three dollars and higher with new hay going as high as eight dollars a bale.(small bales)
Again with the draught, if it continues, you can kiss cheap hay and straw good-bye.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 13:47

If you are serious about straw, a fellow in Cold Spring is sell straw for three dollars a bale verses seven or eight box stores are charging.

o

I'd suggest you start looking for alternatives to straw and hay at this point, what with the drought and all. Perhaps pick up bags of leaves that people leave on the curb for pick-up this time of year?

o

We have straw available as waste hay year round. The stems are left over after the grassy part is eaten by sheep. It is currently free for the taking, just email to set up a time - joannay@aol.com. Please specify you are looking for "straw/waste hay' in the email.

o

I gave up finding straw for my garden, so I just bagged my grass clippings and used those instead. It worked pretty well, actually.

The only problem was, my yard is 1.3 acres, my garden is 60 ft x 25 ft, and my rider doesn't have a bagger. My push mower does.

It took me 2 days to mow my lawn just to get those clippings.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here