Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallym_gw

where to buy straw for mulching

sallym
18 years ago

I am looking online for places to buy straw for mulching my vegetable garden and I'm not having much luck. It shouldn't be that hard to find straw in Minnesota, right? :) I see bales at Bachman's sometimes (and maybe that's hay, not straw), but I don't want to pay Bachman's prices. Where can I buy straw to use as mulch?

TIA,

Sally

Comments (13)

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

I would also like to find a close source. I really only need one bale; how 'bout you Sally?

And isn't there something about straw vs. hay, and seeds?

• sallym
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think your garden is bigger than mine leaves, sure about how much you need? I don't know how far a bale goes--mulchwise.
    Yes, as I understand it, hay tends to have more seeds.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

Kleirs Nursery, 56th and Nicollet Ave s, Mpls, has bales of hay or straw. I'm not sure which. Hope that helps, don't know where you two live. Karen

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

I'm in Plymouth and I only need it for the raised veg. beds. The rest of the half acre gets wood chips.

• sallym
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you, karen

• Alicia_B
    11 years ago

There is a place right on Hwy. 10 north (west?) of Anoka that had straw bales for sale for $4 each. I saw it on my way home from a soccer game in Big Lake.

I, too, am looking for straw bales but I live in Shoreview. I'd love to find a place closer to home. If anyone knows of a source for straw bales in my neck of the woods, please share.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

$4 is ridiculously high for someone with a 1/2 acre garden so I get free straw around town after fall and at the compost facilities and advertise here and there for it. I can get moldy hay free in large quantities and it is fine for mulch except it makes me get farmers' cough.

• katkni
    11 years ago

If you go to this show on Halloween night, you can get bales for pretty cheap. Plus it's a fun show!
    http://barebonespuppets.org/halloween-show/

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Drive around the country where they are baling straw and farmers may let you have one bale free or very cheaply but I will tell you now, with the draught straw and hay are prices are going up quickly.

I have seen old hay on farmers net markets for as low as a buck fifty a bale but most is three dollars and higher with new hay going as high as eight dollars a bale.(small bales)
    Again with the draught, if it continues, you can kiss cheap hay and straw good-bye.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

If you are serious about straw, a fellow in Cold Spring is sell straw for three dollars a bale verses seven or eight box stores are charging.

• nick_b79
    11 years ago

I'd suggest you start looking for alternatives to straw and hay at this point, what with the drought and all. Perhaps pick up bags of leaves that people leave on the curb for pick-up this time of year?

• ecosmarte
    10 years ago

We have straw available as waste hay year round. The stems are left over after the grassy part is eaten by sheep. It is currently free for the taking, just email to set up a time - joannay@aol.com. Please specify you are looking for "straw/waste hay' in the email.

• nick_b79
    10 years ago

I gave up finding straw for my garden, so I just bagged my grass clippings and used those instead. It worked pretty well, actually.

The only problem was, my yard is 1.3 acres, my garden is 60 ft x 25 ft, and my rider doesn't have a bagger. My push mower does.

It took me 2 days to mow my lawn just to get those clippings.....

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz