Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

Valeriana officinalis

heleninramsey
15 years ago

I found this plant this weekend and bought it...as I research it on the net, I am finding that it may be invasive, however, the information is all from the northeast states. Does anyone have experience growing it? I have all of the invasive plants I can handle as it is, if it is problematic, I will place it accordingly.

Thanks, Helen.

Comments (8)

• cheri_mn_524
    15 years ago

If it's the same one I have.
    Ferny looking leaves,bright white flowers,
    3 ft tall or so.. Reseeds, so just dead head it. It doesn't seem to spread from runners..

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds the same, thanks...by the way, do you like it?

Helen.

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

Hi Helen--Since you were asking for impressions of valerian I hope you don't mind me tossing in my 2 cents worth.

I started valerian last spring from seed. They grew large and full last summer but no flowers.

This year they are about 5 feet tall with lots of flowerheads.

I am not sure I like this plant--It very 'architectural' in appearance and doesn't seem to fit in well in an ordinary border. It has a stalk that is about 1 1/2 around--which makes the plant reminds me more of a corn stalk than a flower!

Also, my cats are 'loving' these plants too much---I recently read cats like to eat the roots for a sedative effect.

The flowers haven't opened yet, but hopefully that reputed 'almond scent' will win me over to it. Otherwise, I will probably compost them at the end of this summer. --Carolyn

Carolyn

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for that, I had no idea what to expect, just always interested in something I have not planted. I put it in the border that is in front of my prairie, not the best piece of garden real estate in the yard, so if it is not great, I have time to deside whether to keep it or chuck it in the prairie with other plants I do not fully appreciate.
    1 1/2 inch stalk??? eeeeeek...we will see, thanks again, Helen.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

I have this plant, and just found out I did! I have had a plant in my garden for about 3 years now. It hitch hiked over from a freinds garden when we did a swap. She didn't know what it was, as it was at her house already when she moved in. It wasnt' until earlier this month that I finally figured it out.

I have it planted in a part shade area. I have to say I love this plant! I love that it gets so tall, is full of flowers and smells so wonderful!

I have not had a problem with it being invasive or spreading, but I do have to say that the bed it is in is small, surrounded by lawn. So if it IS invasive, it really has no where to go.

I have plans to remake some beds next to my house, and when I do I want to put this one in.

Jenny P

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

Update on my impression of Valerian. The scent must be an acquired taste. Its definitely not almond scented...

In my opinion, It reeked. The scent had quality of geranium/petunia/tuberose all mixed together.

The scent was so unpleasant I decided to rip them out immediately rather than wait till fall. Carolyn

• carmellia
    15 years ago

If you have cats, or know someone who has, save some of your Valerian before you throw it on the compost heap.

It is an organic sedative for cats and people alike.

Think you are going to have a hard time getting to sleep some night? Brew up some valerian-mint-camomille tea. (Valerian by itself does not taste bad, it just tastes blandly musty.) It doesn't make you woosey to the point where you shouldn't handle sharp objects, but it definitely takes the edge off.

Anyone who has to transport a cat or bathe a cat NEEDS a baggie of valerian. Fed in some wet food about a half hour before you want it to take effect will make everything go so much easier. My BooBoo has never had a day in his life that wasn't a bad hair day. He has to be bathed at least twice a year. Once he inadvertently left my face blood-streaked before we were finished with his bath. His displeasure is still obvious, but he doesn't turn into a mindless, furry Cuisinart anymore.

So, if you don't want it for yourself, share it with the cat owners you know. And keep just a tad for yourself for those potentially sleepless nights. Carmellia

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the input. I saw some blooming last week at the landscape aboretum...liked it alot and fortunatly for me, it is in a spot where the scent will not affect me much.

Carmellia, is it the leaves? Do you dry them? Would love to give some to my sister for her cats in travel...it is always a nasty situation, if it works, I will get her the plant as well.

Helen.

Sponsored