Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redcleo

The gardens that came with our new house

redcleo
14 years ago

We recently moved into an older home. The gardens/yard were fairly neglected, because the previous owner was unable to care for them. Apparently it was all landscaped by Bachmans years ago, by the original owners (who were grandparents at the time).

Every single area that's not grass has rocks, five inches deep, on top of black plastic. (There's one small shade garden that has two inches of mulch, five inches of rock, and then black plastic.) Joy of joys. In many, many areas the plastic has started to come up and is quite visible, and in some beds it is older than others (it tears easily).

Obviously the plastic was put down to prevent or kill weeds (as well as a dead shrub or two - honest), but it's no longer doing its job (there are lots of weeds in with the rocks). The grass has crept in to the beds despite the black plastic edging, and the rocks frequently escape the gardens.

I would _like_ to pull out all the rocks and black plastic and fill these areas in with regular dirt (and natural-colored mulch, not this silly red stuff). I realize that this is a huge undertaking, but I really hate both the rocks and the plastic. They make it impossible to change any of the plants around, or to plant our own favorites (like a vegetable garden, which would be nice next year), and are ugly.

Are there any reasons why we _shouldn't_ do this?

Comments (10)

• heleninramsey
    14 years ago

I spent 4 years getting rid of rock and old shrubs when we moved into this house. It was hard work and worth every drop of sweat. Take your time, pick your projects one at a time and go for it!

Helen.

• redcleo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words! Glad to know I'm not the only one who eschews rock & shrubs (at least, ill-placed or otherwise unnecessary rocks & shrubs).

• almosttime
    14 years ago

I faced a similar situation when we moved into our house a few years back. Craiglist helped alot, as I found new homes for some of the plants that way. You may find someone interested in the rock/mulch mixture for fill - there are quite a few people looking for that. Check the "wanted" section. Hope this helps and yea for one less yard with those nefarious rocks!! (apologies to those who like them :)

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I also pulled up lots of rock and plastic from the sides of our house. Our yard site will take the rocks but I have kept them "just in case". Think it is time to get them out of here.

Pull away! It's your yard now, do what you want.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

Go for it! Yes it is a lot of work but the end result will be your reward. I detest plastic and rock. I pretty much feel the same way about landscape fabric and rock.I have removed a lot of rock. You don't have to do it all at once, pick the area you find most offensive and start there.

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

Yup, been there myself. It is totally worth it though if you plan to garden.
    You could try posting on Craig's list or freecycle to get rid of the rock. You could even try posting, "you come dig it, you can have it". Never know, you might find someone out there willing to help clean out the rock if they can have it :)

• tammymn
    14 years ago

Our backyard had rock all around the pool and in a large area in the back corner. Learn by my lesson!!! I wasn't too much into gardening and removed all the rock by one area and put them in the other rock filled areas. The first one I did was 5 feet by 12. Then we moved all the rock to the back corner. Then I did the same on another spot. Then I did the last area around the pool and put them all in the corner. So my gardens are beautiful now around the pool. What do you think I did. I wanted more room and now went to the corner which is now 12 to 15 inches in rock. Also did the same in the front yard. IF YOUR GOING TO TAKE THE ROCK OUT DONT PUT IT ANYWHERE IN YARD-JUST GET RID OF IT. There is one area left in the front of the house that has another 14 inches of rock. I started new gardens in the front and threw all the rock in another area. When I decide to rip that up I will have to deal with all the rock!!! Good Luck Rock is such a pain.

• vic01
    14 years ago

I also had someone's idea of preventing weeds..or basically too lazy to garden IMO. We pulled black plastic and rocks out for what seemed to be years. Lava rocks are not friendly to the knees. Of course it had to be ugly rocks to boot. All I can say is the hours you invest are well worth it but it is a LOT of work. The shade garden now has a wood mulch, rocks are NOT allowed, at least not the small mulch type ones. Maybe a large landscaping rock one day.

• Julie
    14 years ago

I have witnessed a machine that you can rent that sucks up rocks just like a shop vac on sawdust...
    I don't remember who or where but I think that might be a quicker picker upper for you-
    Best of luck!

Julie

• redcleo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the advice! My dad was up this weekend (he ran a lawn & garden store for years and majored in horticulture/agriculture) and said there was no reason not to remove them. It will take a lot of time, but it will be worth it to have the flexibility to plant what we want where we want.

Thanks again!

Sponsored