Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmnnn_gw

Looking for privacy shrub, full shade

jmnnn
18 years ago

I am looking for a privacy shrub (8-10') that would be planted on the edge of a fully wooded lot. It would sit under the canopy of several large white oak and ironwood trees. Need to fill in a 'hole' in the woods. Area has heavy clay sub-soil, about 8" of good top soil. Area receives pleanty of lot run-off so it stays moist. Does not necessarily need to bloom or have any special fall color, just looking for privacy. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

is it full shade? that would be tough...part shade--there could be up to 49 or more plants, depending on your other criteria. you might like to try the web version of the plant selection database of the U of MN (the cd retails for about $80 so it's a nice deal to have the info available on the internet).

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey there Jmnnn-
    I too have been on the look out for undersory shrubs with a more native bent to them. I have been clearing buckthorn and am tryng to plant the empty spaces-

I did a google search for shade shrubs and came across quite a few nice web sites and was able to find many that I would like- You could try the same- or you could look at my wants list- plants (seeds too) by clicking on my highlighted name- just above this post-
    I have purchased several chokeberry babies- some hydrangia, dogwoods, euonumus, viburnum and the like and have traded- been gifted with snow berry, pussy willows, and others-

All of these are in a "Oak Savanah" type area in my yard with mostly a very high canopy.
    Oh- and I forgot that I have bridal veil bushes under the oak out front-

I am not sure- but I think yews take the shade better than most evergreens if that is more like what you want-

There are many choices out there- You just have to decide what would work best for you- and your needs-

Best of luck-

Julie

• sjmarq
    18 years ago

Jmnn - buckthorn does exceedingly well under an oak canopy but I would beg you not to use it! I have some viburnum tribolum (american cranberry bush) that does well there - the deer keep it pruned but if it is allowed to it will get big enough to provide you some privacy. Not sure how the trees are situated - could you place bushes at the edge of the woods so they get more light?

Julie - I didn't see spicebush(lindera benzoin) on your list. I was planning on ordering started cuttings from a forestry program. Have you considered them or tried them and didn't work? Are you aware of good sources for understory materials? I also didn't see blue cohash on your list. That's near the top of mine for under my mature oaks recently devoid of buckthorn.

• Julie
    18 years ago

No- I hadn't noticed those in my searches- but I will add them to my list! Thanks!
    I don't know of any great resources of these bushes and shrubs either- It's been by hook or by crook or the help of good friends that I have aquired what I have.
    I am interested to learn more of what you have found out about the forestry program- and other sources-
    Thanks-
    Julie

• heres2u
    18 years ago

Canada hemlock is an evergreen tree native to MN that actually does better in some shade than in the sun and it can be pruned and maintained as hedge as tall or short as you want. Now, I'm not sure how it would do in your type of soil, that would need more research.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canada Hemlock information

• moscenicrivers
    16 years ago

Here's a page for the best full shade shrub:

http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/shade-shrubs.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Full Shade Shrub (Bush)

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I'd be happy to let you come dig up some of my elderberry! It loves the conditions you are describing.

Viburnum is supposed to be very shade tolerant too, but my "Blue Muffin" viburnum do not bloom well or produce fruit, and they do get some morning sun. So I don't know about them...

Linda

• rosebacopa2
    16 years ago

Linda,

I would be interested in getting some elderberry also??
    Would that work for you? Where are you?
    Lynn

Sponsored