Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosttime

Specific questions about ligularia

almosttime
16 years ago

Good morning all,

I have some specific questions about ligularia that I thought some folks here would be able to answer. I am helping my mom with a large garden she recently created in her backyard. She lives in the Rosemount/Apple Valley area, so we're working with clay soil. Also, this area does not ever receive any direct light, morning or afternoon, and is also close to two large trees, so the soil is fairly dry, although it is watered very regularly with a soaker hose.

So....with that in mind....would ligularia be the best choice for that area, or should I scrap it and look for other plants?

Thanks for your input. I do check this forum pretty regularly, and I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Comments (10)

• sjmarq
    16 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't choose ligularia. It is one of the first to go limp and show signs of stress when water is an issue and with the trees that might be always. You can always try it - might work, but the more robust the plan the more I like it - I don't have time for fussy plants.

Hosta come in a great variety of size/shape/color and are pretty hardy. Toad lily, fern, native ginger, jap. anemone, some types of geranium,... the list is very long of possibilities.

good luck

• thisismelissa
    16 years ago

Thank you sjmarq for this frank answer. Though I wasn't the original poster on the subject, I did just buy some of these lovelies today at Linders Garden Mart clearance. And I am definitely looking for something more drought tolerant. And I even have sandier soil than almostime.

Thank you again!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Ligs will do well in deep shade. I have 5 of them and they get a little bit of early morning sun and that's it. They do stress easily, tho and occasionally look kind of scruffy near summers end.

Cimicifuga Racemosa is a good choice for shady areas as well. Mine always look wonderful and the flower spikes are really fragrant!

Linda

• john_w
    16 years ago

Agree with the comments on moisture. And I'll add they are very attractive to slugs. My plants' leaves look like swiss cheese in August.

• almosttime
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help! I didn't realize that they stress and wilt so easily, so that is good to know. I will have to (sadly) go with another plant. I agree with you, sjmarq, about the no fussy plants rule - especially as it's not going in my yard. I'd hate to recommend/plant something for my mom, only to end up replacing it next year or have her baby it constantly. And thank you john w, about the slugs info. yuk. That combined with the wilting problem, really did it in for me! I'll just have to admire those lovely nice purple leaves (like the 'Britt-Marie Crawford' has) in someone else's garden!

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Jenny

• posieh
    16 years ago

I'll add a note here. Have had several varieties of Ligs for quite a number of years. You can water them in the morn and if the day is hot they will look stressed in the afternoon, seems to be their nature. If it's a hot day they will look like they're going to keel over !

• jeanbhall
    15 years ago

Just bought some Ligularia The Rocket bareroots. How deep should I plant them?

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

Does the area get dappled sun? That is, indirect light through (around) the tree canopy?

I have several gardens that would be considered full shade under trees and have had WONDERFUL luck with several sun loving perennials (iris, daylillies, daisies...just to name a few). Might be worth considering :)

• sureturtle
    15 years ago

My two ligularia, little Rocket and Dentata, have not show up yet at this point. Little Rocket has been there for 2 yrs and did well last season. Do I still have reason to be hopeful? The only thing I could think of is that this spring the plant maybe under the water for a few day due to spring rain.

• Lee Snyder
    7 years ago

need information" Purchased several Ligularias (root) from a solid company. Planted in new bed, with all recommended nutrients. Five of the boots never broke the surface. One grew to 8 inches but later gie up the ghost. When I dug the plants, the roots were gone. Rot got them. Bed did not pool water not was it bone dry. Same results with Monkshood and bluebells same bed but on a higher level. Why?

Company replaced. I planted the new roots in a different bed, good soil. Same results, all roots rotted. Why,

Company replace just the Lugularia (my request). Different bed, Same results. Any idea why this happened?

At the same time of the original plantings, I also planted Celandine Poppy, Brunnera, Cohost. All flourished so far. Same original bed. I have added Lungwort with the last planting. Great looking roots. 8 days, no signs of life. Few they have rotted.

50 years experience w/ perennials, plants, roots, cuttings, seeds. I believe I know what I am doing. I have over 500 hostas, never lost one to actual root. However, have had some loss with root rot. Scie??? disease. Bulb, corms do well. Plant that flourish: Balloon flowers, ferns, hostas, ind pinks, phlox, ajuga, crocosmia, dozens of others,

I can't determine why I am losing Ligularia, Monkshood, blue bells. I need an explanation. Help.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?