Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

Your favorite sources of information

a.girl.named.max
12 years ago

Thanks to zenpotter and all the generous gardeners that attended the plant swap and gardening tea last weekend, I have developed a new obsession and need help researching perennials in order to support my new addiction.

What are your favorite sources of information on Zone 4a perennials? It seems like there are a million resources on the web but what are your favorites? Also what are the titles of "must have" reference books.

I would also like suggestions on how you catalog or keep track of the plants you have.

Thanks for your help. - a girl named max -

Comments (4)

• buncobabe2u
    12 years ago

Here is how I try to organize my garden:
    1) I have an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the plants I have. I have a column for common name, latin name, color, height, variety, where it's planted, etc. When I go garden shopping, I try to take it along so I don't forget and re-buy what I already have.
    2) I also keep a drawing of my planting beds and put names of what I planted where, but as I move plants arround this isn't always kept up to date.

Mary
    3) I like to keep my plants labelled with zinc planter tags or mini blind labels.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

I like Daves Garden website, lots of useful information and search options. Unfortunately GW will not allow me to include a link so you'll have to google it. Easy enough....

I also like to browse catalogs like Bluestone Perenials. Photos, zone info, soil and light information plus some great ideas for garden planning.

Linda

• mnfairy
    12 years ago

All good suggestions. How about joining a local gardening club. If you go to the Minnesota Horticultural Society web page, you will find information on area clubs. I belong to the Oakdale Garden Club and we welcome visitors if you live around this area. For more info. send me an email if you or anyone else out there is interested.

Another good place - check out your local library for lots of good books.

Jan

• zenpotter
    12 years ago

I don't know how I missed this earlier other than I am trying not to spend much time on the computer these days. I am glad we have a new addict in the group.

I use Daves Garden a lot. Dave who started Daves garden and is no longer with them started a new site this spring it is all things plants which you will need to google as well. For natives I like Prairie Moon selling seeds and plants is their main thing but the site is also very informative. Many of my plants were started from their seed.

The two books I use the most are "Month-By-Month Gardening in Minnesota' by Melinda Myers and "Perennials for Every Purpose" by Larry Hodgson. It is a Rodale organic gardening book. My garden is totally organic.