Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees?

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 11:24

Has anyone else noticed there are no bees this year? My apples, crabapples and plums are in full bloom. Usually there are so many bees in them you can hear the hum. This year, there is no hum, and I have a hard time finding more than a handfull of bees.

This concerns me!

Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees?

Honey bees have been pretty much void around my house for a few years already. On the upside, I have been seeing more bumble bees than "normal". And already I've seen several yellow jacket type bees that I usually don't see until much later Not an upside).

o

LOTS of bumbles and little wild bees here. I'm keeping my eyes open though for the honey bees I should be getting from the UofM hives. The like to travel to my gardens when thing start blooming. They call it "bee balm" for a reason!

-Marie

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 11:12

I've seen a few here, but it's been cooler then usual and I think the insect population in general is down here. At least so far...

o

An awful virus has struck bees world-wide. That's one of the problems - but they don't think that's entirely it. Definitely worth being concerned about!

I've been letting two perennial oreganos go wild in my garden just for the bees - that and my mother of thyme are always completely and totally covered in bees once they start blooming. I don't even harvest those ones anymore - I figure the bees seem to need them more than I do. :)

o

I do have more in the last couple days, maybe because it warmed up. I have a HUGE flowering crab that is normally covered in bees when it blooms. And I am not talking honey bees, but some bumble bees mostly native bees though. This was the first years it was thick with them. Which is what I noticed.

Jenny P

o

Plenty around here in Welch and Mississippi river bottoms. I'd say we have more this year than in recent years. We've had more blooms though to. Going to be a bumper crop of wild plums and raspberries, etc this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here