Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Plants below bird feeders?

rubybaby43
16 years ago

Hi! I recently planted many hostas and a few other things around the backyard. Two of these plants (one is a hosta another is wild ginger) happened to wind up underneath some feeders I have hanging from the trees and after a few weeks I noticed they aren't looking so good.

Does anyone know how the seeds and shells might affect these plants or is this just coincidence?

Thanks!

Kristy :)

Comments (19)

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

As much as I'd like to, I don't put out bird feeders - a neighbor does and gets deer, squirrels, chipmonks, you name it, coming for the seed and trampling through anything that may be underneath. Also, birds are selective in which seeds they go for and they aren't neat about it; what one type of visiting bird doesn't like gets thrown out of the feeder so don't be surprised to get all kinds of weird things sprouting underneath. The shells and debris pile up pretty fast too which might eventually have a smothering effect.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've had feeders for years so I know about all the pros and cons. I was just wondering if the spillover might have an effect on the two plants that happen to be below two of my feeders. They are both looking droopy yet the other couple dozen look fine.

• suzinnia
    16 years ago

Do your feeders contain sunflower seeds.....not sure, but I think I remember those having a growth inhibiting factor associated with them. Probably, someone with a better memory or knowledge base than mine could comment on this. If it's just my brain that's gone to another planet, please be gentle....
    Suzy

• deweymn
    16 years ago

How about moving the feeders, clean the area of soil on the surface around the plants and then wait and see if the recover?

Interesting post as I invite birds and squirrels to 'brunch' in my yard. The squirrels are a pest, dig in my planter boxes and yard right after I transplant, (I just redo it and/or put a little pepper or cayenne on the soil to discourage them).

Once they have checked to see if I have transplanted correctly they seem to leave the new stuff alone. Once it is established they don't harm them. I would like a chipmunk or two but they don't get into the city proper much.

I would sure like some bees tho. I may have to start a hive next year.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do your feeders contain sunflower seeds..

One does and the other is thistle. As a matter of fact the one that was under the sunflower seeds is under a peanut feeder now and has been for about two weeks. So maybe it's not the seeds that's doing it. I wonder if maybe one of my dogs has chosen to continually "leak" on these two plants in particular? Could that be the problem?

The only other thought I have is that maybe there is something under the soil in those two spots....something leftover from when we built the house maybe?

I don't know what to think. The ginger looks like a lost cause. The hosta is not too bad right now.

Once they have checked to see if I have transplanted correctly they seem to leave the new stuff alone.

LOL! They are something, aren't they? I might have to try transplanting the ginger and see if it's not liking the spot it's at. My other ginger plant looks wonderful.

I don't know if I could move my feeders easily as I have limited large branches hanging close enough to the deck.

Thanks for the replies!! Either way, I never gave much thought to the spillover from feeders...and now it may be something to take into consideration.

• luvmydaisies
    16 years ago

Read this article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acorns and sunflowers

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the article!! I'm going to keep my eye on the hosta (now that it's not under the sunflower seeds since I switched out the feeder). Now if I could only figure out why my one ginger isn't doing well yet the other plants around it are fine.

Thanks again!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Kristy, is your ginger getting any direct sun? They don't like that.

The grass below our feeding station doesn't grow well, and I am sure it is from all the seed shells tossed out on the ground below. In spring I rake all the winter shells away, but there are still many that the rake doesn't get.

dewey, I'd be happy to send a few chippers your way! But you really don't want any...they are destructive as he//! They burrow under and chew on EVERYTHING! We had a vast network of tunnels under our patios and sidewalks at our last house. Had to live trap them and relocate them to an isolated spot down by the river away from other homes. Not fun. Now we have them here, and looks like we'll be doing the same.

Linda

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kristy, is your ginger getting any direct sun? They don't like that.

It doesn't. I really think it's the shells from the thistle seed. I'm going to transplant it tomorrow and see if it bounces back! The thing has been wilted to the ground for several days now and I just haven't had the chance to move it yet. I hope it will forgive me! :)

• kyliegirl
    16 years ago

I quit feeding sunflower seeds after a friend told me about using safflower seed instead. Now I get the small birds, no squirrels, etc....

Try it!

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Kylie. I mix sunflower and safflower together. I was thinking about using just safflower but it is so much more spendy than other seeds. I'll ponder making some sort of change though.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I switched to feeding sunflower hearts/chips. No more hulls, no more dead plants under my feeders.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I switched to feeding sunflower hearts/chips. No more hulls, no more dead plants under my feeders.

That is a good idea too. I may go that route during the warm months and switch to in-the-shell during the winter.

Thanks!

• jel48
    16 years ago

I've used sunflower chips for years and what an improvement they are over seeds in the shells! They cost a bit more, but are all edible and NO MESS!. The only problem I've had with plants under bird feeders is, unfortunately and unavoidably, bird poop!

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the replies! I am afraid I didn't get to the ginger in time. I transplanted it but it was looking grim. I'll leave it and see if anything comes of it next year.

In the meantime....I am due for a bird seed run. I'll be getting sunflower hearts for sure!

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it!

• eyemitalian
    16 years ago

Hello all. I had bird houses hanging from the side of my garage. Used safflower seed and it spilled into the flower garden. I now have wild grass all over which I presume will sprout to flowers but they are completely overtaking my hostas, vines and hollie bushes. Is there a way to kill this without killing all the others? Thanks!

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there eye- just give them the yank- pull them the old fashioned way-
    As for under the feeder plantings- I have my feeder in the shade and have tried many things under there in hopes that something may take- alas- for many years- nothing has done well directly under the feeders- 6-10" aside of them- all is well- but there is so much traffic under the feeders- and up the poles that I have yet to find the plant that will stand up to the problem area. I guess I will have to rethink my plan- and come up with an equally pleasing solution- maybe a low bird/kritter bath/watering station- or a found rock sculpture....
    Let me know if you find the answer to the under the shade feeder empty bed syndrome.

Julie

• HU-660458712
    3 years ago

I had safflower seeds in my bird feeder. Now, my flower garden is overrun with safflowers. They look like weeds. They are easy to pull up but there are so many. I live in the Miami Florida area and the heat is too much for me to be outside doing ANY type of work DON'T BUY SAFFLOWER SEEDS for birds if you don't want to be weeding. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022