Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Any tips on Heuchera (coral bells)?

carmellia
18 years ago

I have always called this plant "fall coral bells" but I understand the proper name is Heuchera. It has brownish/maroon foliage.

I know this plant can be beautiful - I have seen it done. Mine (I have 3), however, look like they are begging to be left alone to die. The foliage starts out shiney, deeply colored and vibrant, which lasts about three days. The leaves age quickly into drab, dull, copper colored leaves that look as though they would crumble to dust if touched.

Do you or have you grown this plant? Does it require something I am unaware of? My three plants have varying degrees of sun, one is in a spot next to my pond where it gets lots of moisture. The other two get more sun and just an average amount of moisture. All three behave in the same way. I am going to dig them out and throw them away by the end of summer if they can't earn their spot in the garden. This is their third year. Carmellia

Comments (12)

• Nettie
    18 years ago

Carmellia: I wonder if you have one of the fussier varieties that scorches in the sun- AachenElf and I were tossing around the idea last season of having a swap on these (I think it was AE) because they have so many new exciting varieties. I was adding them like I eat potato chips last year and some of them burned like you describe. I gave them haircuts so that they would send up a new flush of leaves. The ones that I have in the hosta beds are looking plush and thick but some don't color up as well in the shade.

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

I have read that many of the purple-leaved coral bells cultivars (Heuchera) are seed grown and not divisions of an original selection so they will vary a lot in color. If you find a plant that you like, buy it since you many not see another one exactly like that.

I have a purple leaved coral bells that was growing in full sun and the plant just sulked. I potted the plant and put the pot in a shadier place until I can replant and the plant now looks great.
    Mike

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I have three large ones that were given to me last year, Have them in a spot that only gets sun from about 5-7pm and they are HUGE! I think they might be "Palace Purple" but no sure. I also have two "Marmalade" that I got at Busse's last year and they get morning sun and then medium shade the rest of the day, they are looking good as well.

I tried a green variety with red flowers (can't remember the name) and they would not grow no matter where I put them...they are compost now.

Linda

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Hey, Linda, I think I have that green one's cousin. Wussy little thing has about 3 leaves the size of quarters. I was thinking of trying it in a sunnier spot.

Good idea, Mike, to keep something in a pot while trying different locations in the yard to see where it's happiest.

• luvmydaisies
    18 years ago

I have a few of them and they are all different types, I have them all in part-full shade and they look GREAT. I just bought one last night that said it liked full sun so I am going to give it just that and we'll see how it looks by summers end.

• spidertaxi
    18 years ago

I have several different varieties, they are all in part shade, none get afternoon sun. I also noticed that when I enriched the soil (homegrown compost) their colors were even more beautiful. Mine also never dry out.

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Unless they winter kill (like Amber Waves, twice for me), I've found heucheras to be hardy, undemanding plants. I have some in full sun to almost total shade, ie, on the north side of the house (Palace Purple, yes, I know its common as heck), but it can take any situation, any weather, and thrive. I also have Dale's strain (approximately 30), Venus, Mint Julep, and others I can't remember right now, and once they've sprouted leaves, they have no problems for me.

Is it possible there are spider mites or something else you might not see damaging the leaves of your plants? I suggest carefully examining the undersides of the leaves for mites, slugs, etc. (beetles can also be a big problem).

Good luck,

Kate

• Julie
    18 years ago

How old are your plants? When I noticed mine failing- I realised they needed to be divided. I dug up the plant and noticed very many woody growth"stems" with leaves growing out of them. I seperated them by tugging and ripping and replanted them all over the place. I lost the largest center peice which I had put back in the original spot it came from and had been happy for years- (that puzzels me-) and a few of the smallest peices I lost due to neglect- but many lived and thrived and a few became almost as large as the original before the end of the season. The ones that did the best were definatly the ones that were in well amended beds.
    I have learned that several plants benifit from dividing- and if it's on the way out anyway- what do you have to lose?- is how I look at it.
    I do believe all of mine like more sun than shade- and they all look best with plants near by- but they do not seem to like crowding in the garden beds (like I do).
    Best of luck to you and yours-
    Julie

• hostas_n_hockey
    18 years ago

I, too, have about 4 different varieties - some in full sun, some in partial shade, some in pretty full shade. I have found that I like them best in the hosta garden as a companion plant. The colors and leaf shapes contrast nicely with hosta and there they also get plenty of water which I think they like. I have three "Palace Purple" (which seems to be the most common) planted under a varigated red twig dogwood shrub. The colors compliment and contrast each other very nicely!

I hope yours recover, Carmellia!

• clark106
    18 years ago

I have some of these same old purplish-brownish heucheras. I put a chartreuse/yellow-edged hosta next to one and now it looks great! The chartreuse brings out the green instead of the brown, and complements the reddish color.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. I am going to try less sun and more moisture. I do like the idea of the purple next to the chartruse hosta. I've gone through a bout of not being able to open postings. I have just today read all of your replies. Computers irritate me soooooo bad. Carmellia

• gretchenmi
    17 years ago

I bought one on sale....$2.00....Purple Palace ( 1 gallon pot) a few weeks ago......seems root bound...put it in full sun....south side.....haven't had a chance to plant it but it has doubled in size....wonderful new leaves .....been keeping it moist until my flower bed is ready.....I LOVE IT.....any hints on dividing or anything.....I wish I had bought all 4 of them left.......thanks.....good luck to all of you on them....I had no idea there were so many kinds....any suggestions?

Sponsored