Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viburnum borer

Posted by clark106 z4MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 11:54

I lost a beautiful snowball viburnum this spring. At first I thought it hadn't leafed out, because it had buds and green in the branches, but on looking at the base I found holes. Apparently you have to spray pyrethin in late June to deal with them, unless anyone has any other ideas. I have a beautiful viburnum onondaga and I hope it doesn't meet the same fate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viburnum borer

My onondagas have been fine, but the trilobums were first hit by borer two years ago. I think it was due to drought stress. Since I don't supplemental water on an ongoing basis and won't be using chemicals, I have come up with plan B plants. I also cut the trilobums off at the ground as an experiment to see if the new growth would be luckier (Yes, they are re-sprouting). Really attractive shrub, but if the problem is too severe to live with, then I'll pick an alternate.

If you want to keep trying with it, you might be willing to cut off at ground level and get some pyrethin on hand. All my research turned up that as the only significantly effective treatment. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here