Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdubow_gw

Sunflower help!

rdubow
16 years ago

I worked soooooooooooooooo hard on my sunflowers...I started them late April and grew them in the house until the end of May! I know, they say not to try to transplant sunflowers, just direct sow them, but I was eager to try and see what happened! So, I planted Giant Mammoth sunflowers and then some shorter variety with multiple heads per stem -Pinache???! My mammoth ones were right next to my fence -6 foot- and got about 8 feet tall and the DAY before they fully opened, squirrels ate the heads off two of them! The Pinache ones are opening right now!!!! I have 2 Mammoth that I had direct sown that are only like 5 feet right now but I am sure those will be goners too!

Here is my question! If I plant 3 more varieties right now, Mexican sunflowers, Velvet queen and Evening sun....and just drop the seeds into the soil of the gardens, not near my fence, will they still bloom this year???

Anyone....??? PLEASE help! These are my favoite flowers and I am sooooooooooooooooooooo ticked, I can't even bring myself to cut the empty stocks down yet! The stems were like 3-4" in diameter!

Anyone have experience planting sunflowers the last week in June for our zone 4??? They would be in full sun!!

Thanks sooooooooooooooooo much-

Becca

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus