Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splumb_gw

Carrots and grapes

splumb
11 years ago

I planted carrots seeds three weeks ago. I am assuming I should have seen something by now there is nothing showing. Is it to late to plant another batch of carrots. I really was looking for to having some carrots.

Also if anyone knows anything of grapes I am looking for some advice. We bought a house recently and realized we have grapes growing. They were not on any supports just laying on the ground. Some of the branches off the main trunk have started to put down roots. Can I up root those and tried to put them on trellises. Of course leaving the main root structure intact.

I have no experience with growing grapes so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

If carrot seeds have received water then yes I would expect to see some germinating by now. If in doubt, leave that row alone and plant some more using different seed - you should still have time to get a crop. I just reseeded carrots last week because I had spotty germination. You could also plant smaller or shorter varieties which should get you some fresh eating sooner.

I am no expert on grapes but I will offer my general opinions. Hopefully someone more experienced will offer advice or correct me if I am in error. You can also access the Fruit and Orchards Forum of GW and ask your question there.

If the grapes are a non-grafted variety like Concord then you could certainly cut and move those rooted branches to a new location with great results. You could also move a rooted branch of a grafted variety and it may grow nicely but it might freeze out the first winter or simply shoot up every spring then die back every winter and never produce anything.

It is my understanding that layered branches are cut and moved when the parent is in dormancy (late fall, winter, early spring). I have had success cutting and moving layered dogwood and currant branches while they are actively growing. If you feel you have to move them now, or have nothing to lose by moving them now, then give it a try. Do it soon or next fall rather than in high summer - moving plants during the hot summer months is very stressful on transplanted plants in general and increases the chances of failure.

Follow online resources regarding when and how to move layered branches. Just use keyword phrase "layer grapes".

Good luck!

• jplayland
    11 years ago

Are you sure you aren't looking at Riverside Grapes? They are the wild variety that are very common in most of Minnesota. I killed a bunch of them on my woods edge, along with a good deal of buckthorn. They grow edible grapes but in small quantity and size and with good size seeds. I just planted 7 vines (4 varieties, all red table grapes.)

Before you do a lot of work make sure you are dealing with a grape that will be worth it to you. I would skip it if it's wild. I would also skip it if it's a wine grape (I don't like wine.)

• splumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update- after removing all the weeds and untangling the vines. I found a marker that said what they are, Mars seedless grapes. So I guess I will see how they turn out.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting