Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Heuchera problem

carmellia
15 years ago

Every Heuchera I have ever planted has looked pretty sad by the time I have had it for a season or two. They seem to lift themselves out of the ground. It is the same trouble I always have with African Violets. They may start out sitting flat on the ground, but pretty soon they look as though they are sitting atop a 2 or 3 inch stalk.

I just got a Heucherella last year, and so far (knock on wood) I have not had the same problem there.

Can anyone figure out what I am trying to describe? I suspect that they look so rough because of this lifting out of the ground. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Carmellia

Comments (6)

• jodikay
    15 years ago

Mine do the same thing and I just push them back down and put lots of mulch around them. It seems to be typical for this plant. My local gardening books suggests that they should be dug up and divided every 2 or 3 years. I don't believe I have followed that advice. So far I don't have any complaints. With this cool weather, mine have really grown.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring. Maybe I just have bad soil.

I shoveled a pick-up load of aged horse poop last Friday from a friend's farm. I made one pail-full into a manure-tea and have been watering everything in my garden that appears to be performing below par. I'm hoping my heuchera will respond well.

The Heucherella seems to be a much easier plant to keep in trim. Carmellia

• thisismelissa
    15 years ago

I have had the same problem.

I planted all mine last year and probably 1/3 of the 2 dozen or so that I have did indeed do this.

I was told to dig 'em and bury 'em deeper.

Melissa

• carmellia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like these things are going to be trouble. I gave up trying to raise African Violets because of the same behavior. It seems that as soon as they begin to raise themselves up off the ground, they start to weaken and fade away. Maybe I will just look for an alternative. I have to say the Heucherlla does seem to share that habit with the Heuchera. Carmellia

• ankh
    15 years ago

Heuchera are known for heaving. I believe it's especially acute if there is a lot of freeze & thaw. Just did a quick search and this page has a suggestion or two on what to do:

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    15 years ago

I have had 'Palace Purple' for at least 4 years now. I started with 2 plants and they self seed quite readily. I have given some away and transplanted many others. They are darn hardy. When I have dug them up to transplant, they seem to fall all apart and I figure they probably won't make it but they do! Most of the places they are planted hasn't been very good soil either. They do tend to turn brown and crispy in the hottest part of the summer because they are not in full shade, but they keep hanging on. They are one of my favorites. Just keep a little mulch around them. Mine don't seem to be harmed by so much of the stem being out of the ground and they are so full of leaves that I can't see that unless I lift up the leaves and look. Good luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?