Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White/ pink Trillium

Posted by gardener-budding 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 13:24

I heard once that it is illegal to pick/plant/move trillium. My parents have tons of it up at their lake place in Wisconsin. In fact there is so much of it, that we often lawn mow a lot of it down.
Does anyone know if it is endangered here in Mn, or why I couldn't dig it up and bring it back to my garden?
Just thought I would check!
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White/ pink Trillium

It is against Minnesota law to dig trilliums for sale. It is against Minnesota law to dig trilliums on someone else's property (including public land) without the owner's consent. And that consent might need to be in written form. It is not against the law to dig trilliums on your own land in Minnesota. I don't know what Wisconsin laws say.

People tend to envelop the surrounding land as their own at cabin or lake places. Our land is sometimes taken over by "locals", everything from picking our blueberries to destroying plantlife and and creating irreversable erosion with their ATV's. Please be sure the land where you dig is actually your parents', and that Wisconsin law allows.

Also, realize that what applies to trilliums may not apply to wildflowers in general. Some are more highly protected under Minnesota law, some less protected.

Trilliums are relatively difficult to transplant. Roots can go way down. I have seen it both ways, where substantial roots are more than a foot down, and less than 10 inches. But either way, plants will probably protest transplanting.

o

Thank you so much for the information! It is very appreciated.
The trillium is definatley on my parent's property. In fact they have spread all into the lawn from the wooded areas.
Thank you again!

o

I have a bazillion trillium on my wodded property here in the North Branch area. I have transplanted literally hundreds of them with great success. When whe were preparing the spot where our garage now stands there were loads and loads of them. I moved many of them to other areas of the woods, gave away boxes full. All of the ones I transplanted are doing well. I have also potted up several for GW members and swaps. Have not heard if they are all doing well or not.

They come up in my lawn too. I mow around them until they are done, they are just too pretty, and they only last a few weeks.

Linda

o

Linda - mine are good :)

-Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here