Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Endless summer hydrangea

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 14:47

I am going to try growing one of these again. But only because Menards was clearancing one out, it had been hit by frost and looked dead. I could see a lot of new growth on it though! MY win!

Anyway, Now I have the problem of finding a good spot in my yard! My place has a LOT of shade, but I do have an area that gets morning shade until about 1 or 2 pm right now. Then sun until about 7 pm. It would be near my other beds so would be watered regularly. Do you guys think it would live in a spot like that?

I have another location, but the soil there is sandy, It is more full sun, drier, and I already have tall estabished perennials there.

Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Endless summer hydrangea

Jenny P,

My neighbors have them in part sun situations and they ae doing quite well. They sure want to pout in the sun, but they buck up later on in the evening. I have two (I was not going to EVER buy them...LOL...I did) and they are in sun till about 2. Pretty much the opposite of your situation, but with about as much hot sun. I have only had them for a season, but they are doing well, they came up good this spring and they are full of flowers right now.

Good luck, Helen.

o

For my own sanity, I tore out my endless summers that got only afternoon sun now, thanks do a dead boulevard elm. Too much watering and wilting. On a day like today they would be wilted all afternoon and these were in the garden in front of my house. Now those on the east side, shaded by 1pm are a joy.

o

I have 3 of them facing North. They only get sun early in the morning. They are fabulous - get bigger and better each year.

o

Thank you everyone, I have narrowed the choices down. One of the spots would be good, but I am afraid it's to close to the tree line, where deer come through to nibble on my yard.

The other spots are not as good, so I am still thinking on it. The perfect spot in the yard, would put it an area that would block my favorite veiw from my dining room winder. Ugh

HA HA HA I MIGHT be thinking on it all summer!

Thanks!

Jenny P

o

I planted three last summer in a situation like you described on the west side of my house so that they only get afternoon sun. I mulched them pretty thickly and they don't wilt as much in the afternoons as they did last year. They are covered with small flowers right now- I did give them some liquid fertilizer early last month to help stimulate flowering- something they talked about on "Grow with KARE". I also bought Twist and Shout this year so we'll see how that one does in comparison.

o

I have one in full sun that is about 5 years old. It gets 3 ft tall by 3 ft wide. It is blooming beautiful right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here