Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettie1

Which do you prefer, the process or the end result?

Nettie
15 years ago

I was talking to a friend who was bemoaning the work involved in gardening and declared that she just wanted someone to come in and make her garden beautiful and be done with it. It made me think- would I actually take someone up on that offer? Part of me was tempted because the last couple of years the droughts have really made me want to throw my hands up and just quit and let it return to the cow pasture I started with. But I think I need the process- I enjoy the end result but need the process. How about you?

Comments (13)

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I agree with you. The process is what keeps me trying new ideas and new plants. I work hard in my gardens and at the end of the day I sit in my chair and look them over and think, "I love my gardens" while knowing there is much that needs attending to and much that will be changed. I'm sure part of the satisfaction is that I did it myself and that there will be something interesting to do the next day.

• jodikay
    15 years ago

Oh what a wonderful question. Right now I am in the process of moving, planting, discarding and thinking. I love getting in the dirt. I love trying new plants. I love what I have, mostly. Sometimes I wish I had some other 'eye' to look at my gardens with a fresh perspective. My husband always thinks it looks nice however he doesn't understand why I have to constantly re-arrange. Why can't it ever be finished? he asks. A gardener he is not. But at the end of a weekend or a work night I sit in my chair with satisfaction at whats been done. And its all mine!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Though I love the end result (usually) it's the process that keeps me going.There are always new (to me) plants to try, different arrangements of plants to experiment with. My gardens are very personal and a part of who I am. I wouldn't want anyone else to come in and do them for me. Where would I find the satisfaction that comes from looking out over a newly planted, mulched, or weeded bed. I love the process of starting with a small plant and nurturing it and watching it grow to it's potential. Though I don't always enjoy the plans or plants that don't meet expectations, I enjoy the challenge of figuring out "why not" or what can I do differently.

• mycalicogirls
    15 years ago

I, too, love the process. It's what makes it "my garden". I grew up on a farm and my sister (also a gardener) and I played in the irrigation mud even when we were in high school. We loved weeding the berries and pruning the plum trees and picking cherries. It's all about the feeling of getting rewards from your hard work. Molly

• primgal36
    15 years ago

I agree. It IS back-breaking work, but I know what I want to achieve, and I feel good at the end of a project when I look at what has been done. It wouldn't be as rewarding if someone else came in and did it.
    I'm enjoying a new area we planted last year, I have to say, each day has been a thrill so far. All the things I planted, I get to see change and grow, it's very exciting to me, it'll take a few years to get established, but I'm loving it!
    Now I'm working on a new area, and I can't wait to get it done, but really, it's never done!
    Sometimes, I wish I had it ALL DONE, but each season, I have something to look foward to working on, which is quite rewarding.
    It's also nice to hear comments from passers by that they enjoy it as well.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

This is what I love about this forum...it is full of people who feel the same was as I do about many things. We may have different strenghts and knowledge, but we love our gardens and gardening. I don't think that owning a garden makes one a gardener, it is creating and playing with the garden that makes one a gardener. I agree with all that was said above and would add that it is a good thing, because todays 'end result' is tomorrows renovation project. Helen.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Very true Helen!

• leftwood
    15 years ago

I garden to learn, so the process is the reason I garden. Very often, once I get what I want from growing species, out it goes to make room for something new.

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I love the process and I love to share the end result (with anyone that will come and look...LOL)
    I just about start hyperventilating when I think I'm almost "done" working in the garden for the season...then of course, I spot another weed or something that needs dividing or seed collected from and all is right in my world again :)

• jel48
    15 years ago

I love the result but I garden for the process. I wouldn't enjoy my garden a fraction as much if someone else came and created and maintained it for me. In the spring I can hardly wait to get my hands in the dirt. I love the cool, damp feel of it and I love the smell (only if no manure added :-). I love seeing things grow, whether it's in my garden, in fields, in the roadside right of way or whereever. Like Molly, I grew up on a farm. I think the love of growing things was just built right into me :-) Helen, I'm going to quote you because you said this just right, "This is what I love about this forum...it is full of people who feel the same was as I do about many things."

• phyl345
    15 years ago

definitely the process!! ... i never sit still long enough to even look at the end result ... which drives hubby nuts! ... i DO love the end result, however, it is always onto something else ...

i have been gardening five yrs. now; sometimes i DO wish i had just ONE bed completely perfect ... some day ... some day ...

• chevy57red
    15 years ago

Good to see that all agree!!
    It is the process!!
    For me, my garden(S) will probably in my lifetime never be done. As my holding beds get fuller every year, what is a girl suppose to do? Silly me, start the process of building another garden of course!!

{{gwi:1051160}}

• mimi_stpaul
    15 years ago

Yesterday I loved the process, today...not so much. OOOH my back!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath