Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
your favorite smellies?

Posted by templeflower z4b MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 16:26

Ok everyone.

I'm looking for some plants whose fragrance has the power to wow from far away. I love when the lilacs are blooming and the whole neighborhood smells of them. What other plants hardy here in MN have the power to send their fragrance out onto the breezes? I'm looking to put some good smellies around my new patio area. (And maybe make the neigbors a little jealous...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: your favorite smellies?

Evening stock, Darlow's Enigma rose (or Dart's Dash), garden phlox (or any phlox), shooting stars, some of the large hostas have a gorgeous fragrance, Casa Blanca lilies, purple prairie clover... there are TONS! :)

-Marie

o

Some of these you have to get up close to smell, but they're all wonderful...

Perennials:

oriental lilies of all types
lavender 'munstead'
bearded irises
jacobs ladder
monarda

Annuals:

Nicotiana fragrant cloud
sweet annie

TEnder perennials:
jasmine
scented geranium
agastache root beer?

o

My Konigin von Danemark (queen of denmark) rose could be smelled from a distance this spring. As a matter of fact my whole front yard had the sweet smell of roses because of her. She's a hardy once bloomer but totally worth the garden space she takes up..

o

I can't wait until my Mock Orange matures. The sweetest fragrance you can imagine!

Linda

o

I do have a KvD... she is still a baby, so only 2 blossoms this spring but, oh so yummy! Same with my snowflake mock orange... no blossoms yet, but hopefully some next year.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Marie- how hardy is DE, have you had to winter protect at all? (I can't remember if that one is remontant?)

o

DE is VERY hardy, I don't protect it at all. It dies back some, but don't let it fool you - you don't trim it until it's fully leafed out because some parts that "appear dead" aren't. I have an 8ft obelisk in my front garden of which right now 6ft is full of the rose and still growing - mostly from this year. It also doesn't mind part shade!

-Marie

o

Milkweed - blooming today!!! Valariana, lilies, lily of the valley, roses, lemon verbena, scented geraniums....there are soo many!

Lynn

o

The most frangrant is my Brugmansias. At 7pm they open and you can smell them from 20 feet away. There are not open yet but can't wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here