Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Need chartreuse/yellow foliage

thisismelissa
13 years ago

I'm working on a new garden in the front of my house.

This garden is full sun/part sun.

It's a dark purple/burgundy and chartreuse theme, but I'm having trouble finding plants that fit the description. Since it abuts my lawn, I cannot have anything even remotely invasive, so I cannot use that spiderwort that is limey in color. I returned Ranunculus Buttered Popcorn cuz I heard it was a thug.

I have used Sedum mediovarigatum and lysimachia Golden Alexander and Heuchera Stoplight (which is getting summer scald already).

I'm planning to use some hosta from my back yard, and will decide which ones later. But at this point, I've got to get the bed more filled in.

I could especially use some shorter ground covers, but they will have to take all-day sun as they will be in the unshaded portion of the garden.

Suggestions please?

Comments (9)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

sedum 'Angelina' is a lovely chartreuse with orangey bronze coloration on the tips in the fall when the weather cools.

• User
    13 years ago

I just planted helichrysum 'Limelight' in some of my pots and it is spectacular. An annual here, but vigorous and beautiful. I think it can be rooted from cuttings and wintered over as a houseplant.

Berberis thunbergii Sunjoy 'Gold Beret' is a very dwarf (6"-12" wide and high) mounding barberry that gets full Eastern sun in my front yard island bed. It is a gold-chartreuse through most of the garden season, and the leaf tips gradually show rosy-rust hues in late summer and fall. I've had it two years and it hasn't burned, nor needed any pruning.

• Beemer
    13 years ago

Lady's Mantle and sweet potato would be lovely.

• garystpaul
    13 years ago

How about staghorn sumac, "Tiger Eyes" (don't think it's invasive, but maybe others can comment on that). it's certainly chartreuse, and with a nice reddish purple contrastÂjust like your color scheme :-) Gary

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I put in a new bleeding heart this spring. It has lime green foliage, I'll have to report back on the name, tho. I am at work but I can check when I get home.

Linda

• selkie_b
    13 years ago

How about good ol' Creeping Jenny?

• crazywateringlady
    13 years ago

I too started a chartreuse garden area and I love it. Along with some hostas I also purchased a plant called Isla Gold Tanacetum this spring that has nice color. I also planted Hakonechloa macro aureloa grass. It says it's only zone 5 on the tag but the lady there told me it was okay for zone 4. I'll believe it when I see it. The Angelina sedum mentioned above is also very nice.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

A couple of chartreuse plants in my gardens that have not been mentioned:

Caryopteris 'Summer Sorbet', may be listed as z:5 but has been in my garden for three years. Light blue flowers late summer.

Veronica 'Trehane': ground cover, grows well in part shade and full sun, pale blue flower in spring. I've grown this for years. It has been a slow spreader for me and easily contained.

Hakonechloa 'Aureloa' was planted in my garden last year and returned this spring, a slow grower. I am going to test another winter to see if it survives as I do not feel last winter with the continuous snow cover was not a good test.

• zenpotter
    13 years ago

I wish I had seen this earlier Sumac Tiger Eyes is beautiful and invasive. Our neighbors put 3 in two years ago and now they have many more much to their surprise. Actually a landscape firm put them in and said they weren't invasive. I wonder how the landscape company owner feels now that he sees them every time he looks across the street to the house where his crew planted them.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations