Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycalicogirls

Anybody growing boxwood or false cypress in Minnesota?

mycalicogirls
15 years ago

I've just moved from zone 5 and need input on plants that do well here in Minnesota. I planted two baby Green Mountain boxwood. Are any of you growing them? Should I wrap them or spray with antidessicant for the winter? How about the Chicagoland variety? Is anyone growing false cypress? I saw a beautiful one tagged for zone 4 but am worried and it is expensive, so don't want to waste money on something not hardy. Molly

Comments (9)

• mycalicogirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much!!!

• spartangardener
    15 years ago

I have both green mountain and the falsecypress in my yard. The boxwood has survived one winter but had serious windburn on the south side of my house. I piled snow on it, but that wasn't enough because it got exposed with as it melted. Whatever variety of false cypress I have (I don't remember, but it's eventually supposed to get to about 8' tall) is completely hardy in my yard after 3 winters and I don't do anything special to it.

• posieh
    15 years ago

I'm another zone 3 and have had False Cypress for at least 8 years, never freezes out and keeps growing and one plant now covers a spot about 8 ft. in diam. Mine is in nearly all shade. I've moved another into a sunny location and it nearly died. Last year I moved it back to shade and it is doing fine. Yup, about 8 to 12 inches tall. I'm not sure what variety I have. Welcome to Minnesota !

• janeyschwarz
    15 years ago

I have a few Chicagoland boxwoods on the east side of my house. They do fairly well when wrapped during the winter. They do get some windburn or sun scald even with the wrap, but it isn't as severe as some that I see.

• tom_mn
    15 years ago

Hi:

I planted 4 Chicagoland boxwood in 2000, and only had a tiny bit of sunburn the first March-- nothing since, never wrapped or sprayed. They are on the east side of the house (right next to an Emporer 1 Japanese maple, now 10' tall). On the west side of the house I have a 5 y.o. Green Mtn boxwood that has never had any burn, never wrapped or sprayed. My only comment is that this boxwood often puts out new growth in Sept which dies over the winter. I know that this happens so I am ready to nip the growth right away as it appears.

Also carefree are Olga and PJM rhododendron.

If adventurous, try blue prince/princess holly or Mikkelli rhododendron.

• erinmn
    15 years ago

Welcome to MN, Molly! I'm with Tom on this one, with the only exception being that mine are Green Mountain boxwood. I have a couple on the east side of the house that get minimal sunburn on occasion (an inch or two, and infrequently) and have lasted and grown very very well for the last five years. No protection. There is a 6 foot cedar privacy fence next to them, on the east side, so don't know how much protection that gives them. Good luck!

• dln949
    15 years ago

Yes. I have two of them, I forgot the type. I planted them two or three years ago. I've never given them any protection. They seem to be doing just fine. They haven't grown very fast, but they show no signs of suffering.

• glen3a
    15 years ago

I have grown these plants as well. For the boxwood in zone 3, the key is the cultivar selection as well as planting location. I planted 'Green Mtn' on the north side of the deck. In winter, it was completely buried in snow (and therefore shaded) until late March. It survived quite well. My friend tried it on the south side of her house, and it didn't last one season. Just a side note, I was surprised how tolerant they were of being planted in a soggy low spot. I know they have shallow roots and prefer some moisture, but I was impressed.

As for false cypress, I think the key to it's survival here (zone 3) is also good snowcover which shades and protects the plant in winter. They are slow growing so are low and get good snowcover. I did, however, throw a box over my 'curly tops' falsecypress for the winter just as an extra precaution.

Glen

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz