Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenpayne

help! my dogs are 'watering' my plants!

gardenpayne
17 years ago

I am new to gardening and have put many plants in this year. For some reason my two dogs keep marking my Black Beauty Elder. It has started to shrivel and looks like it is "at risk." What can I do to keep my dogs away from it? It's not really in a place I can put a barrier in around it.

Comments (7)

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

Are they trained? I don't know of any other way, except possibly to find something really distasteful to them and plant it around the other plant.

• gardenpayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yes they are trained, but they just mark it erverytime they go in the backyard.

• gamebird
    17 years ago

If you can't put a barrier in around it, can you at least make the ground near it unpleasant to walk on? Rocks, sticks stuck in the ground, bubble wrap, newspaper held down by a few stones, etc.

You could also try liberally sprinkling the area with cayenne pepper or something else they won't like the smell of.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Could you just set up a temporary wire "fence" in front of it until they get the hint? Or maybe set a bench in front of it for a while?

Otherwise a firm "NO!" whenever you see them marking it, but you would have to be out there with them at all times to be consistent.

Linda

• twohuskies
    17 years ago

If your dogs are anything like my male than I would say a firm No every time it happens won't be enough to get them to stop. Marking is an instinct and becomes a very strong habit. Do they mark other things when you take them on walks?

You could try rabbit & dog repellant but I'm not sure it would work. I read somewhere that hosta stand up very well to waterings from dogs. Maybe you could plant a ring of large growing hosta around it as a sort of barrier.

I feel your pain. I have ugly chicken wire around my gardens in the yard and I hate it but it's necessary to keep my dogs out. Even still, my male will sometimes lift his leg on the fencing as I cringe and look the other way.. And the new lilac I planted (after having been watered a few times) has picnic table benches around it as a temporary barrier until I figure out something better.

• michele13bugs
    17 years ago

I don't really have a solution, if I did my beautiful Fireside Apple Tree that just happens to be right in the middle of where my 2 dogs fenced in area is, wouldn't be dead. About 9 years ago we decided to fence in an area which is right out of our lower level where the patio door goes outside. It works perfect, open the door, the dogs can run and play and pee and poop all they want. My male dog has been peeing on that tree for 9 years, and it has slowly died. We have the same kind of tree in our side yard, same age, planted at the same time and that tree is just fine. So maybe try and put up some type of mesh or wire fence around the bush, or hang something from the bush that makes noise, or flaps, that might scare the dog away. Bad Sparkey.

Michele>^,,^

• stpaulite
    17 years ago

I have two male welsh corgis and they would have completely destroyed my garden by now if I hadn't put up yards of rabbit proof wire fencing. It ain't pretty, but my garden is and so I'm happy with this solution for now. I have seen plants at Menards the scent of which act as a natural deterent to dogs. I can't recall what they're called, but they have a picture of a dog jumping away. I have no idea if they work, but it might be worth a try if you want to avoid your yard looking like you're fighting World War I all over again.

Good luck!