Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Willow

Posted by joeallen Minnesota (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 19:32

4 years ago i planted a Weeping Willow that my grandfather got me as a house warming gift because its my favorite tree. last fall i trimed up the bottom of the tree and cut about 8 branches off of it completely (at the time i thought you were supposed to trim in fall i now no its in spring) but now this year the top branches started to bud out but they never developed into leaves the bottom and middle branches are full of leaves and mostly pretty healthy looking one branch however the leaves are turning yellow did i kill the tree by trimming it to close to winter? is there anything i can do to hopefully save this tree or is it a lost cause? or am i just being to anxious and i should just leave it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Willow

I don't see why anyone would say don't prune a weeping willow in the fall. Willows in general might be encourage to prune in spring merely because it would be after the catkins (pussywillows) have bloomed. But, a weeping willow doesn't have showy catkins, so there is no big deal. At any rate, your pruning did not produce you present problem. We don't get usual winters anymore, and this past one is no exception. It's just the quirkiness of climate change that produces unusual factors that plants aren't adapted to, and so, must struggle.

I would waint until mid summer to decide what you want to do. The tree may still recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here