Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

omg, these are so cool!

doucanoe
14 years ago

I was working in my herb garden this eveneing, taking advantage of the cool weather when I spotted them.

Six green, yellow and black caterpillars devouring my lovage! I was about ready to cut it back and dispose of the offending larvae when I decided to look in my butterfly book to see what they were first. I am so glad I did!

They are Black Swallowtail larvae! Six of them! Munching happily on the lovage! I decided to let them be, I really don't use the lovage that often and if they move on to my parsley....so be it.

I really love our Black Swallowtails and am so honored that they chose to lay eggs in my herb bed! I'll be watching them closely and if I can get any fun photos I'll post them.

Here is a link to what they look like. (It was so much easier to link than to post my own, blurry photo!)

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Swallowtail caterpillars

Comments (12)

• tammymn
    14 years ago

Thanks Linda for the info. I had one of those catepillers on my dill. Unfortuntely I picked him off and put him in my other garden. Hope he finds somethinng in that one to ear?

• rubybaby43
    14 years ago

Ooh...lucky girl, Linda!!
    Kristy :)

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I still can count six of them.

They have almost completely defoliated my Lovage. But I am not even upset! I am just hoping to get to see some chrysalis's and maybe some really cool butterflies before the season ends!

Something is chowing on my Basil and Oregano this year, too. Whatever. This is becoming such a strange season I don't even know what to expect anymore! And I'm not counting on any crop of anything.....

Linda

• Nettie
    14 years ago

I agree, lucky you. I plant parsley in my flowerbeds every year because I read that swallowtails are attracted to it. Now I know that I should try Lovage.

• Julie
    14 years ago

I will save seeds for those of you who would like to try this TALL perennial herb- That is if mine flowers this year. I moved my lovage to a "holding" spot while we worked on the vegi bed.
    Julie

• mimi_stpaul
    14 years ago

I read they really like fennel too

• rubybaby43
    14 years ago

Hi Linda! We just found a Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar in our backyard and I was thinking of you and all of your Black Swallowtail caterpillars. We've studied up on him a little and found that they love most of the tree leaves in our yard! So he's set up in a huge old lizard tank that my brother left here from our garage sale.

What's the latest on your critters?

This is going to be exciting for the kids and I!
    Kristy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Butterfly

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, we found two chrysalis' on the side of our garage. One hatched out, but he was not developed properly and his wings were not quite right. He did leave the chrysalis, but I doubt he lived long. The other never hatched, I think it just got too hot on that side of the garage for them. However I have spotted a few beautiful black swallowtails in my gardens, so it would seem that the rest hatched out just fine!

Keep us posted on your TS babies, Kristy!

Linda

• james_leeseberg_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My daughter received a butterfly habitat for her birthday. We found two of these caterpillars in September and we were amazed to see black swallowtails emerge in May. We have more on our lovage this year. I don't know what to do with the lovage but I know what to do with the caterpillars.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oh Wow! I so love this, if any of you happen to have any lovage seeds left, I would so love to acquire some seeds! I want to join in on the butterfly fun! :D Pop me an email so I can join in the fun too if anyone has seeds left? *G*

~Bright Blessings all!
    Tina

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, I'd be happy to share some of my lovage plant with you. And I'll try to check on the butterbur for you, too.

Linda

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thank you Linda! I would love that very much. I've had to do a total burn down of the lawn(dandelions,broadleaf and thistles took over) So I'm redoing my flower beds as well. Haha! May as well right? ;) Having compost brought in and top soil by the truck load and tilling the lawn, making raised flower beds too. Most of the work I'll do myself. Check my list and pop me an email, maybe I've something we can trade seeds on? :)

~Bright Blessings!
    Tina

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz