Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the smelly tree?

Posted by patinwi zone 3 or 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 21:07

Can anyone tell me the name of the rather large trees that are blooming right now? They have hundreds of little clusters of blossoms hanging down from every branch and have a strong smell which is pleasant until you get too close to it. Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the smelly tree?

Linden Trees. The smell is wonderful!!
Kristy :)

o

Thanks. I agree it is more pleasant than unpleasant and definitely noticeable from far away. Also called basswood. I found this interesting site about it.

http://www.nysite.com/nature/flora/basswd.htm

o

Also called basswood.

Interesting! I had no idea and we have one in our front yard. You learn something new everyday. What I do know is the fragrance on our tree makes my mouth water!

o

Young flowers and opening buds make a good tea. My relatives in Slovenia use it as their staple tea. But if you or your neighbor uses herbicides on your lawn, I don't know if I would gather it. A great pollen source for bees too!

o

Young flowers and opening buds make a good tea. My relatives in Slovenia use it as their staple tea. But if you or your neighbor uses herbicides on your lawn, I don't know if I would gather it. A great pollen source for bees too!

Tea, huh? I would have never thought of it. Our tree sure was loaded with all sorts of bees, wasps and other various insects!! I miss the smell already!

o

Yes, Lindens are really wounderful trees, when you stand under them it's almost like you are standing under an umbrella, they have somewhat of an openness inside the branches. We had two Lindens...basswoods, but woodpeckers pecked thousands of holes in one of them that shaded my porch and now it's dead. The otherone is doing fine, but I am watchfull they don't start on the remaining one, so far they havent.The only drawback of the tree is if they are planted too close to a deck or patio during the season they drop their flower thingies, it's really a mess, but they do smell wonderful.

Michele>^,,^<

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here