Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is anyone else seeing things bloom much earlier than usual?

Posted by spartangardener z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 21:18

Several of the perennials that usually show up in July in my yard have been blooming for a week or two already. Anyone else seeing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is anyone else seeing things bloom much earlier than usual?

Yes, noticed it first with the lilacs blooming about two weeks earlier than usual.

But the lack of rain has slowed other things down.

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 21:57

It's the same here spartangardener... We're leaving on vacation for a week, and I have plants starting to bloom that I am worried about being DONE blooming by the time we get back!

o

No question - my gladiolas (though these are an early type) are blooming and so are my begonias - unusual only that I over-winter my corms and start them inside myself - they are about a week early. Heck, I have heirloom tomatoes with blossoms already, and Charentes melons. Not to mention I've harvested two small batches of pole beans already!

-Marie

o

Everything is blooming earlier. And I actually harvested all my honeyberries on May 25th!

o

Golly gosh! Our lilacs are done blooming and its not even the 4th of July. ;)

o

The last of my lilacs were gone over a week ago. Does seem early. Veronica, Salvia, Siberian Iris, TB iris, Oriental poppy, dianthus Firewitch, dianthus deltoides, Bouncing Bette, mock orange are all blooming; wild forget-me-nots are pretty much finished. And the Asiatic lilies are showing color on the buds. I didn't keep a good garden calendar last year, but I'm ahead of the 2005 dates.

o

Annual crops have been slow, perennials way ahead of usual. Been harvesting North Star Cherries for several days now. I usually don't start till after the Fourth. Strawberries are all most done and have picked a few blueberries. I went back into my records and all the berries are about two weeks ahead of schedule. However, I am still waiting on carrots planted April 1st...

o

loodean,
That's the problem everywhere - the CSA I work at is having serious trouble with their carrots, beets etc and the radishes are ALREADY done! We had two weeks worth when we normally get 4-5. The heat and dryness aren't allowing them to germinate properly and when they do, it's slow growing. The snap peas are in bad shape, lots of pods - but no rain so they are mostly empty. They are in Osceola and seem to have gotten even less rain than we have here in northern St. Paul.

-Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here