Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

First Taters!

soilent_green
11 years ago

Harvested my first potatoes today and ate them for dinner. Nice smallish round ones (approximately 1.5 inch diameter on average) that are the perfect size for boiling whole with the peeling on. Pontiac Red variety. They were absolutely delicious.

These are from the early potato crop that I planted mid-March. Early ones were planted for fresh eating. My main crop was planted later for storage potatoes. They are doing fine as well.

This year was the earliest I have ever planted anything in my life of gardening, and it is the earliest I have ever harvested potatoes.

If you have never eaten freshly dug baby potatoes, you are truly missing out on a potato taste and texture eating experience. No store-bought potato compares.

Went vegetarian for dinner tonight. Home-grown menu consisted of freshly harvested baby potatoes, heirloom peas, asparagus, and a collards/bok choi blend. An heirloom leaf lettuce mix with freshly-picked alpine strawberries rounded out the meal. Beverage of choice was a frosty Samuel Adams lager (the cost of this was the cost of the meal).

Hope everyone is enjoying their bounty! It is summer eatin' time again!

Comments (5)

Sponsored