Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental Poppies question

Posted by doucanoe MN 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 22:11

My oriental poppes that I have had for about 8-9 years and have always produced loads of HUGE red flowers are looking a bit haggard this year.

I have two. One has no buds as yet, one has only four and they are smaller than normal.

I would assume the cold spring we have had plays a part, but I also am noticing that they seem to be in need of division. Kind of like Siberian Iris do when the center seems to die out and there is a "ring" of healthy plant.

So here's my question....do Oriental Poppies need to be divided, and if so, how often and in the same manner as other perennials.....dig, cut, replant?

Thanks.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental Poppies question

I've always read they resent transplanting due to a long taproot. The one I have looks like it established a few babies by seed last year a couple of feet away from the mother plant.

Mine did not bloom this year either. Out weird weather must've caused it. The leaves look healthy but no flowers. So sad.

o

I'm happy to say my oriental poppies bloomed very well this year. Haven't had them long enough to know if they need dividing, only three years. I deadhead mine so don't know of they would come true from seed.

o

I don't believe they need or benefit from dividing.

Many micro-climates were hard on them this past winter/spring. An off year every once in a while is to be expected.

Do you save seeds to sprout more?

o

leavesweave, Wasn't sure if your question was meant for me or mnwsgal. Wish we could post responses in a way that makes sense. :(

Anyway, no I didn't save the poppy seeds. The babies are volunteers as I did not deadhead them last year. I like to let a few perennials (the less invasive ones) go to seed and see where they pop up. My back garden is my very informal garden, and you know what? It might just be the one I enjoy the most. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here