Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straw Bale Gardening

Posted by posieh 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 22:11

Is anyone doing Straw Bale Gardening? A friend of mine is and is having good success. She has cabbage, peppers, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, kale, lettuce and several other things growing quite well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straw Bale Gardening

My DD and her SIL both are doing the bales this year and are quite happy with them. DD has tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash.

o

Our elementary school is giving this a try this year. They are blessed to have a mentor,a retired professional green house owner. They are doing fabulous!! I have vegetable envy!! Next year I am thinking I will venture in. My issue is sun, however so not sure this will help me.

o

I am not exactly sure what strawbale gardening is but i am using straw :)
So perhaps i qualify... Loving it so far but straw seems too expensive. It was $4-$7 per bale depending on the quality. I need to find cheapper supplier. Anybody knows one around stillwater ?

o

My cucumbers seem to love it

This post was edited by Maryna on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 13:23

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 13:23

Maryna, your cucumbers certainly do seem to like the straw mulch!

The straw bale gardening, is actually when straw is kept wet for a period of time, causing it to heat up and kind of compost inside. Then you plant your seeds directly in the bale of straw instead of in the ground. The composted straw is great fertilizer and is warmer than the soil that the bale sits on. From what I've read, results are great!

There's actually a book about it.. I bought one 4-5 years ago.

Wish I had some straw, and the room in my yard, to give it a try!

I put a link to a web site below, that explains it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Straw Bale Gardening

o

Thank you for the link jel48!
It makes sense now.. but seems a bit expensive .. unless of course one has their own straw !

o

We have straw available - currently free for the taking. It is the stemmy part of the hay left over after sheep have eaten the grassy part. We set it aside in a pile. If interested in picking some up - please email to set up a time. support@ecosmarteonlinestore.com or joannay@aol.com..

o

We have straw available - currently free for the taking. It is the stemmy part of the hay left over after sheep have eaten the grassy part. We set it aside in a pile. If interested in picking some up - please email to set up a time. support@ecosmarteonlinestore.com or joannay@aol.com..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here