Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Straw Bale Gardening

posieh
10 years ago

Is anyone doing Straw Bale Gardening? A friend of mine is and is having good success. She has cabbage, peppers, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, kale, lettuce and several other things growing quite well.

Comments (8)

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

My DD and her SIL both are doing the bales this year and are quite happy with them. DD has tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Our elementary school is giving this a try this year. They are blessed to have a mentor,a retired professional green house owner. They are doing fabulous!! I have vegetable envy!! Next year I am thinking I will venture in. My issue is sun, however so not sure this will help me.

• Maryna
    10 years ago

I am not exactly sure what strawbale gardening is but i am using straw :)
    So perhaps i qualify... Loving it so far but straw seems too expensive. It was $4-$7 per bale depending on the quality. I need to find cheapper supplier. Anybody knows one around stillwater ?

• Maryna
    10 years ago

My cucumbers seem to love it

This post was edited by Maryna on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 13:23

• jel48
    10 years ago

Maryna, your cucumbers certainly do seem to like the straw mulch!

The straw bale gardening, is actually when straw is kept wet for a period of time, causing it to heat up and kind of compost inside. Then you plant your seeds directly in the bale of straw instead of in the ground. The composted straw is great fertilizer and is warmer than the soil that the bale sits on. From what I've read, results are great!

There's actually a book about it.. I bought one 4-5 years ago.

Wish I had some straw, and the room in my yard, to give it a try!

I put a link to a web site below, that explains it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Straw Bale Gardening

• Maryna
    10 years ago

Thank you for the link jel48!
    It makes sense now.. but seems a bit expensive .. unless of course one has their own straw !

• ecosmarte
    10 years ago

We have straw available - currently free for the taking. It is the stemmy part of the hay left over after sheep have eaten the grassy part. We set it aside in a pile. If interested in picking some up - please email to set up a time. support@ecosmarteonlinestore.com or joannay@aol.com..

• ecosmarte
    10 years ago

We have straw available - currently free for the taking. It is the stemmy part of the hay left over after sheep have eaten the grassy part. We set it aside in a pile. If interested in picking some up - please email to set up a time. support@ecosmarteonlinestore.com or joannay@aol.com..