Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

How long does fever few bloom?

tradewind_64
15 years ago

Last summer I started feverfew seedling, planted them in the fall, and they are just now starting to bloom. I am wondering how long the bloom season is, and if I should make a point to deadhead or not. I have also heard that the plants aren't very long-lived, which makes me think that I should let it all go to seed, but I don't know. It's always great to know what another zone4 gardner has to say about plants I'm trying out :-)

Thanks!

Joanna

Comments (14)

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

I love feverfew--especially the white wonder variety available through renee's garden.

From my experience, if you don't want feverfew seedlings all over the place next year, deadhead them. They will rebloom after you cut them back, but not as profusely as the first flush.

As for the length of bloom, I don't recall exactly. Its definitely more than 2 weeks before they start to fade.

• adamterrie
    15 years ago

I am also very fond of feverfew - primarily because of its extended bloom period. I also agree that the individual blooms last over two weeks, but if you keep deadheading, new blooms keep coming all year until frost. I did deadhead mine all of last year, and still have a ton of "baby feverfews" all around my plant. A good plant, and combines well with coreopsis, which will also bloom most of the summer.

- Adam

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I'm with Adam - would hate to be without the feverfew that selfseeds all over. It's a good companion plant with just about anything I can think of - and easy to pull up if it gets in the way. I'll deadhead early on, but will make sure to just drop the spent blooms. I do think once you get them established, you'll always have plants coming and going - and they crop up in the most unexpected places.

A great filler in bouquets, too - more effective than baby's breath.

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU. I am so tickled to hear that it's a winner for you guys. It's blooming right now and I am absolutely in love with it. This is the variety I planted:

{{gwi:1051755}}

I have started some more seeds, but it sounds like, perhaps, that if I just wait a season or so, I will have all I want :-)

Joanna

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just ordered two packets of White Wonder from Renee's Garden. Can't wait to see how they compare to the regular variety.

Joanna

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

Hey again Joanna--when my white wonder feverfew blooms I will post a pic to this thread. I really enjoy it paired with clarkia elegans, but it looks lovely with everything. Carolyn

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bemidjigreen, great! I'll love to see pics. Mine is blooming and in full sun I swear it's blinding. I LOVE it.

Joanna

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The William Baffin flowers have just about had it...the petals are hanging on for dear life but are fading even as I write. This Willie has very bare legs, so the feverfew helps hide them and give a fuller appearance. Plus they don't seem to require an ounce of care so far, and the rabbits and deer haven't even touched them. That alone makes them a winner for me :-)

{{gwi:1051756}}

{{gwi:1051757}}

Joanna

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

Hi again Joanna--my white wonder feverfew has started to bloom!

A close up--

{{gwi:1051758}}
    It gets pretty tall--
    {{gwi:1051759}}

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

sorry--I'm had trouble posting it from webshots--

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh oh oh I love the White Wonder. So glad I ordered some seeds. They are like little pompoms! More of a sculptural presence than the regular ones that I have.

Do you have to keep reseeding the White Wonder, or do they reseed themselves? Do you ever find them reverting back to regular feverfew?

I do love them indeed. Thank you for posting the pics. Now I am excited to start mine and then plant the babies in the fall, as soon as I have a bed for them.

Joanna

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

I love them too! Actually they are quite a show--I've had neighbors stop a few times while I've been working in the garden asking about them.

They self seed well and I've never had them revert to the standard form. The pic I posted is actually from seed I scattered last August.

Since they are not a long lived perennial (so I've read) I've learned to start 1/2 flat every year just fill in where some decide not to return.

After buying my first seed packet from Renee's I've not had to buy any more seed. Since this is the only feverfew I have, they've come back true every year.

Enjoy! Carolyn

• kdrjl
    15 years ago

LOL....I didn't even realize that it DID come back....I have it with the roses and they've been in bloom for MORE than a month.....

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Wow Carolyn, that is one awesome plant.
    What is Renee's? A catalog. a garden center? Do they have a web site? Pondy

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus