Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

Another peony dilemma

heleninramsey
15 years ago

Okay, I moved a big established peony out of the shade and into the sun, nice full sun garden, nutrient rich soil, plenty of water. It has four big flowers and lots of tiny undeveloped buds. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I put it in carefully, it should not be in too deep, and this is its second full year at this new location. Thanks for any help you might have. Helen.

Comments (10)

• primgal36
    15 years ago

Helen,

Don't know how much help I'll be, but from my understanding, when you move them, it kinda shocks them for awhile, but if it's the second season, I don't know. You could try talking to the Master Gardeners at Mickmans or Noble, they may have a solution.
    I have alot of them, but mine are in various growing stages because I have to buy them bare-root, a hopeless addict!!! Maybe check the depth to be certain. I haven't been any help whatsoever, I'm sorry.

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks...I'm toying with pulling it up and reseating it after it flowers (and doesn't flower) I'd just get over it but it is the most awesome red!

• bemidjigreen
    15 years ago

I moved my well established peonies (sarah bernhardt) last year. They were in shade as well. They are producing more mature buds that they had last year, but it is no where near what the two other peonies that I moved the year before. These are in in a spot with late afternoon shade--they are loaded with buds.

Perhaps its fertilizer? I understand peonies are heavy feeders. I usually fertilize mine with fish emulsion early in spring (mid may up here in Bemidji) with a second application a few weeks later. You might give that a try for next year.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Helen, did you move them in spring or fall? I had a couple that I moved one year in the spring (it was a move em or lose em situation) they sulked for 2 or 3 years before they finally started to show what they could do.

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm...I think I moved it in the summer, it was not the best time to do it but it was part of a fairly big project overhauling a crummy old landscape bed under a tree. The more I hear the more I think I will just let it be, feed it and give it time... Thanks, Helen.

• posieh
    15 years ago

I hope this helps: I think peonies should be moved probably in the first part of August so they can become established before Winter. Then it will no doubt take them at least two years to recover. If you split them into two or more plants it may even take them three years to be at their finest! Don't rush them !

• laura_sue
    15 years ago

By no means am I a peony expert. But it sounds like it's doing okay to me. I transplanted a peony that we found under ashrub we were removing (it had been doing so poorly I never knew it was there)

It was moved in the spring. That year it only had foliage.
    Year two was a lot like you're descibing. This year it's beautiful.

I say just be patient.

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all, hope is renewed and my peony sits, undisturbed, in its home, waiting to show off next year (or the year after if it desides that I need further testing and teasing). Helen.

• hostaheaven_618
    15 years ago

Earlier this spring I toured a peony nursery and we were told two things I never knew about peony's. 1. Once they are established, don't water them! and 2. Never plant a peony where a former peony had been planted. If you do, the new peony probably will die within 3 years. They aren't sure why this happends, but apparently it's pretty common.
    Chris

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I did not know that...interesting, thank you. Well, my peony now sits in a spot that was formerly occupied by grass, so that should be okay. As far as water goes, I treat it as I do the really flowery ones. Darn thing looks really happy now; green, leafy, was no trouble at all to dead head (LOL). Helen.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz