Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

What Zone 5 roses have you had consistent luck with in in Zone 4?

birdwing
14 years ago

I have a couple roses that come back again and again that are supposed to be Zone 5. Unfortunately, I don't know the names of these roses anymore..when they bloom I will take photos and try to get IDs. I'm particularly interested in climbing roses but would love to hear any stories about Zone 5 designated roses that seem to be hardier..

Tomorrow I plan to make my first trip down to Sam Kedum. I've been very disappointed with the selection of hardy roses I find at the usual places in the

metro. Is this still the best place for roses in the region? I'd be willing to trek further if anyone has ideas...

Comments (5)

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Birdwing, Gertrude Jekyll, Abraham Darby, Evelyn, The Pilgrim, and Jude the Obscure (all David Austin roses usually listed as zone 5) do very well in my garden without much, if anything, in the way of winter protection. I should also mention one hybrid tea, "Love and Peace," often listed as zone 7 (!), that returns every year, much to my surprise. I'm sure there are many more and I hope you get lots of responses to this. (BTW, I know Sam Kedem and you can rely on him for good advice). GaryStPaul

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Hope you folks don't mind if I bump this up. It's a great question, maybe some of you missed it. I'd love to hear a few more responses (and I'm sure birdwing would also). GaryStPaul

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if they are considered zone 5, but these roses have survived the winter for me. I mound them up with about a foot of loose garden soil in late November. The uncovered canes die and must be pruned in early spring:

The Fairy
    Pretty Jessica
    Eglantyne
    Crocus Rose
    Carefree Beauty
    Carefree Wonder
    Earthsong

One rose I do not have, but am always impressed when I see it at the MN Landscape Arboretum is Seafoam. An elegant, healthy, low growing white rose.

I think I need to get Seafoam.

• debrajeanette
    14 years ago

Not sure about the zone for these but I have the following and I do nothing to keep them over winter and they always come back:
    Sven (has nice perfume)
    Seafoam (lots and lots of white blooms for months)
    John Davis (climbs, repeat bloomer)
    Lovely Fairy (our favorite. bright pink little flowers for months)
    William Baffin (very very vigorous but the rabbits like it)
    Pink knock out
    Winnepeg Parks (I lost one out of 5 this year, after 3 years)

• birdwing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First, thanks Gary..I didn't realze I had a response on this because I've also been posting on the "antique roses" forum and got a bunch of responses there..I did get a bunch of roses at Sam Kedem. I guess it remains to be seen if any of them make it! Twohuskies has been responding to my posts there and we're in a very similar little microclimate I think.
    I'll definitely look into the rose you all have suggested. And yes Gary I agree that Sam is great. He has great info on roses and is honest about what he thinks will be hardy.

Here is one of my roses that seems to come back again and again that I remember being a Zone 5 but don't remember the name. I had one possible ID on the AR forum as an Austin Rose, "The Dark Lady" I'm not sure if that's right or not..The name doesn't sound familiar to me. This rose is definitely my favorite in my garden and has come for 7 winters with only minimal protection. I've lost LOTS of others since then..

{{gwi:281715}}

{{gwi:281716}}

look familiar to anyone?

Sponsored