Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting new sun garden

Posted by thisismelissa 4a-Southern TC area (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 23:22

Ok, I'm starting a new sun garden and would love your opinion of the following plants:

In order of planting, back to front:
Red Twig Dogwood (in the far back)
Darts Gold Ninebark
Barberry Rose Glow
Nordine Smokebush
-Several variety of coneflower
: Sedum Purple Emporer (I think.... anyway, it's a wine color)
: Sedum Autumn Joy
: Assorted daylilly
^-----these make up the front area

This garden is going in the back corner of my suburban lot and is on a slight incline. Because of the incline and the location, and the fact that it gets all day sun, the area pretty much bakes! So, grass doesn't grow well there without lots of watering. As a result, I'm trying to plat a more drought tolerant area there. I'm willing to water it in well this year, but next year, I'd like it to hold its own!

Your thoughts please?

TIA,
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting new sun garden

My sedum -autumn joy- gets floppy if not watered on a reg. basis and it is well established. Coneflowers do fine without attention on a regular basis for me. I would also recommend black eyed susans/rudbeckia, those seem to take well with little water. Also, you could add some of the lime green hosta, those like the sun just fine and do great without attention!Oh...and yes.....daylillies...I never water mine and they hold their own VERY well (yet,....they are VERY common!)

Just my opinion....I am no expert like many on here but thought I would try to get some responses flowing for you!
bec

o
RE: Starting new sun garden

Here are a couple of thoughts...Dogwood-especially a variegated variety like 'ivory halo' might need a fair amount of water. The smokebush is probably the tallest shrub you have listed-so I would put that in the very back. Purple emporer is an awesome sedum-but I have mine in light shade and water it a lot-so I'm not sure how it would hold up with little water.

Russian sage, catmint and black-eyed susan would be other good choices in addition to the sedum, coneflower and daylilies. Maybe Joepye weed and karl forester feather reed grass as well?

You might want to look up xeriscaping for other plant ideas for our area...

Here is a link that might be useful: NDSU site - Xeriscape Plant Selections and Ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here