Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are sunflowers toxic?

Posted by ascoli (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 23:34

So, I'm delighted that my sunflowers are 2-3 ft. tall and healthy. I have some basil, parsley, and tomatoes growing adjacent. A friend was touring the garden and said, "Dude, you need to move that stuff. Sunflowers give off a weird toxin and things growing too close will die."

Help? I'm a relatively newbie. Is my friend true? Should I move the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are sunflowers toxic?

Never heard of it, never seen it. Maybe your dude-friend has been smoking sunflowers or something. ;-)

Actually, I think I know what he's talking about, got his facts a bit confused, and some quick 'n' basic research with your favorite search engine will give you the answer.

o

I posed a question recently that brought around similar conversation. There is a link in this thread that might help. Scroll down to luvmydaisies reply. It is regarding the hulls from the seeds...but maybe that was what your friend was thinking.
Kristy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants below bird feeder

o

Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here