Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_budding

Jack-in the pulpit JACKPOT!!!

gardener-budding
15 years ago

I don't know much about these flowers, but my aunt (an avid gardener) was up at my parent's lake home (in WI) and pointed them out to me. I instantly fell in love!

My parents just built a home and were about to install a new driveway when I realized that there were tons of jack-in the pulpits, trillium, wild geranium, and many types of ferns that were going to be in the "distruction path".

I was able to dig up some of these and bring them home to add them to my shade garden. Others I just transplanted into other areas of their yard.

Are there any special care instructions for the Jack-in the Pulpits that I should know about? Do they transplant well?

(A sad side note: My father has been mowing down trillium and other native flowers for years! He refers to the trillium as "those white flowers that are all over his grass". Growing up I always thought of many of these native flowers as weeds. We used to pull those flowers up, just as we did dandelions and other weeds.)

Comments (10)

• giantslug
    15 years ago

Jack in the pulpits come from bulbs that are easily transplanted when they are dormant. Mark the plant with a stake or flag when they are growing and move the bulbs after they start to go dormant in September. Be aware that once the top dies back the plants are nearly impossible to find unless they are marked. I have transplanted many Jacks in early September when the tops are starting to die back and they are the same size or bigger the next year when they come up. You could transplant them when they are green and growing but the plant may go dormant early and not bloom for a year or two.

• primgal36
    15 years ago

I don't have them, but desire to have some now that I've seen them.
    Don't know about transplanting, but I imagine like with most, they probably stress a little, but then recover. What a great find you got there.
    If no one frome here responds, call your local garden center, I'm sure they'll have more tips for you.

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I just transplanted one (had no choice). It is two feet tall and in full bloom. I was a little nervous about moving it, but...
    I watered it well and it hasn't flinched. No wilting at all.

• sjmarq
    15 years ago

I've had great germination by taking ripe seeds and just tucking them into the woodlands. Some will say you need to treat the coating to break it down, but Mother Nature seemed to take care of it just fine.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I have about eleventy-million of them in my woods. Had to move a bunch of them as well as trillium and uvularia when we built our garage. They all transplanted extremely well!

The JITP get a beautiful cluster of red seeds that look like berries in the fall. Drop those in the ground and you'll have tons of new ones next spring!

Linda

• juniebug-2006
    15 years ago

Last spring a friend said we could dig up Jack-in the pulpits that she had growing in her woods as they were about to clear the area to build. Her Jacks were huge! I dug up probably 30 Jacks, giving some to friends, and keeping a bunch for myself. I kept them well watered throughout the summer last year. At first I didn't see them coming up this spring and I was a little nervous, but everything was late. Now I see them everywhere and they look great. My friend claims that she treats them like hosta and feels the survival rate for transplanting is very good. I'd have to agree with the success I've had.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

OH now you all did it! I don't know anyone who has Jacks growing, so I had to go to the web and order some!! They should be here next week. Of course while I was at it, I couldn't just order Jacks, I had to get some other shade plants to go with them. Like Solomon's seal, Meadow Rue, Alum root and Culver's root.

I am sooooo bad!
    Jenny P

• leaveswave
    15 years ago

Very tough plant. Will readily spread in a happy spot (i.e., if it's planted in dirt! :-) Can easily transplant anytime (though if flowering or setting seed, I would cut those off).

• gardener-budding
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so very much for all of the great advice. I actually already dug them out and brought them to my house. Do you think that I should cut the flowers off of them? They look pretty good so far!

Thanks again,
    Caarin

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH