Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deadheading Mallow

Posted by sallyjoe zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 0:02

I have several plants in my garden that seem to be indentified in my garden book as Mallow or Malva. They are light purple with 5 petals, each with a "v" at the top.
They have been blooming for several weeks, but seem to be dying out. My book indicates they will bloom all summer.
My question is, do I need to pick off all the brown pods that have come on the plant? It's not a matter of cutting off a stem, as each stem has brown and green pods. Is the plant going to seed, and if so, will pulling each of these brown pods off cause it to rebloom? Sounds like a big job.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deadheading Mallow

I have the same plants! I cut off all the dead heads, which yes, is a long job. Mine rebloom all summer and even reseed a ton in the areas they are in! I cut off the blooms when the flowers fall out and there are just green little open ended pods on stems. Sometimes I just pull the little pods off with my finger nails.I kept a ton of seeds from mine last year after allowing them to dry out on the plant as well and replanted them around the garden, those also came up! So..yes....even cutting the green pods off will cause them to rebloom next year so I suggest plucking htem and throwing them out if you do not want more of them! Mine started blooming about 2 weeks ago and they will last ALL summer!

o

Thank you for your help. I'm still a little confused. My stems have both brown pods and green pods on the same stem. The green pods haven't bloomed yet, right? So, I need to pick off all the brown pods in order to keep them blooming. I've never done that before, and they only bloom a short time, but re-seed, and come back like gang busters the next year. So, please let me know if I should only pick off the brown ones, and I'll get started.
Thanks again,
Sally

o

The spent flower is the brown pods so pick them off. If you want to collect seed, save the little black seed discs inside the brown pods. The green pods are either the new flowers getting ready to bloom, or the end of a blooming flower (easy to tell). If you want to collect seed for re-seeding or trading, save from the brown pods, the seed is ripe in them. Not much to it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here