Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Ramsey county compost

gamebird
16 years ago

I live about five blocks from one of the Ramsey county compost facilities. It wasn't until today that I realized getting finished compost from them is FREE.

Has anyone ever used compost from a city site? Is it full of weed seeds or trash? Is it any good?

Comments (9)

• tammymn
    16 years ago

I try to always get compost and it is worth it. Sometimes you find junk pieces of trash in it just pitch the junk. Look through the piles some are better than others. Every couple years I have needed a few yards of compost and have ordered it from a business that will come dump it. Every time I have done that I have gotten the worst compost. So if you can haul enough I would go for it.

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

Where is the center? I am interested in getting some. Sounds like a good idea.

Does every county have one?
    Nathan

• gamebird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The one close to my house is at the intersection of Sims and Frank. It's not open on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

Here's a website: http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/NR/rdonlyres/1E5AC2AE-64FE-4D40-8F92-6882A1DD81BE/2359/YW_2006_Flyer.pdf

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Gamebird, I have used the compost from that site on occassion. I go regularly to the one on pierce butler and prior and the one on st clair ave at 35E. I have gone every spring for the last several years. It has been very useful in building up my soil for grass and the garden areas I now plant, plus container gardens. I have found it to be good compost albeit there are the pieces of black plastic and sometimes larger sticks than I want. Raking takes care of that. It's free so I don't complain.

I have gotten very few weeds out of this stuff, in fact, surprisingly few out of this springs compost. Seems I get morning glory sprouts and they are easily pulled.

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

So if I am not a resident of Ramsey county am I still allowed to take compost? Anyone know of one in Wright county?

• gamebird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know for the one at Frank and Sims, you have to be a resident of Ramsey county (or accompanied by a resident who has photo ID and is willing to lie for you) to pick up compost. But I went by today and they're out. Guy there said they run out of compost at the end of April and only make it available at the middle of April.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

gamebird, I have never seen a sign (may have missed it?) at any of the sites I mentioned above, nor have I ever been asked to prove anything. I just back my van up to the pile and load my containers after dropping off my leaves.

I even go up to the one on Dale st in Roseville where there is a sign for residents only but I am usually filling only a few containers not a trailer load. What the hell, they are leaves from city parks from all around the city and who pays for the parks? We do. In our property taxes and sales taxes. It's not like we are taking it to resell.

• gamebird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the idea is that those paying the property taxes in the county are the ones who should be allowed access to the free compost. Several of the online flyers I found were very clear that only county residents were supposed to pick up or drop off in their county of residence. People who are not paying for it (ie, people from other counties) have no right to take compost from a county they don't reside in.

Not that I care all that much. But I'm sure that if I showed up to get compost next spring and found out a bunch of interlopers from other counties had showed up and taken the last of it, I'd be annoyed. Because I'm not going to go to places in other counties if I'm not supposed to.

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

The Wright county site is in Buffalo http://twincities.citysearch.com/profile/36746019/?brand=smx_yp-nc

Each county has it's own facility. I've used compost from the Anoka site a number of times. If it's composted properly you shouldn't get many seeds sprouting. Yes, there may be a few pieces of plastic or chunk of garbage but the benefit to your garden is far greater than the little work to pull a few weeds.

I also add manure cow, horse, goat, whatever it is available and till it in too. Again, you may get some weeds but you just can't beat natural fertilizer. If you can haul compost make a "trip to the country" and pick some up you won't be disappointed.

Sponsored