Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkoopman_gw

viburnum died

bkoopman
17 years ago

Last year I had a 10 foot viburnum die. It was a beautiful plant with great bird appeal in full sun, on dry clay. It had thrived for years with no sign of decline, disease or infestation. No sign of rodent damage either (unlike the girdled eunonymous!). Any ideas? I'm now skittish about replanting viburnums, or recommending them to others in our area (west metro, mn)

Thanks for the feedback!

Comments (8)

• john_w
    17 years ago

Please tell us what kind of viburnum it was. Disease and insect resistance vary by species.

I lost all my V. 'Onandaga' after several healthy years to borers. One by one the branches died from the base. They were so riddled with holes, I could just yank them from the ground. There was nothing I could do. They were lovely shrubs, especially in the spring.

Nearby, I have V. 'Bailey's Dwarf,' V. dentatum, V. carlesii 'Compactum' and V. lantana 'Mohican'. Had them for years with no problems at all.

• bkoopman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting about the borers. As far as I could tell, there was no apparant insect damage, although I did not inspect closely at the soil level or just below. Branches were intact enough that a chainsaw was required.

The bush was full grown when I purchased this property, so I do not know anything about it except that it was huge, beautiful, healthy and then dead. Sad. I wondered whether Viburnums were short-lived, or dislike clay (my soil is heavy). It was just so astounding to see a such a large plant die with no obvious signs of stress.

It's good to know that you've had success with the listed varieties. I'm copying them down for future reference.

Do you grow any of your viburnums in shade?

• john_w
    17 years ago

All of mine are growing in partial shade. The native species viburnums grow at the edge of forests, so shade is certainly not an issue for them. And I don't think clay soil is a problem, either. These are tough, hardy shrubs.

But borers lay them low. If a woody plant dies suddenly, I'd look to pests as the cause.

• lori1_gardener
    17 years ago

I was just wondering if any of you have
    tryed the mohawk viburnum?

I just planted one and am hoping it makes
    me smile in the spring.

• john_w
    17 years ago

"Are borers a serious enough problem that once in my yard I should avoid future planting of viburnum? "

Usually pests are species specific. Your first step is to identify which viburnum you have. Then research which pests will attack it. The genus 'Viburnum' includes dozens of species.

"Are there more insect resistant strains than others?"

Nannyberry comes to mind, perhaps Arrowwood. But your mileage will vary. I suggest contacting the UoM extension service or check their site for useful information. Leon Snyder's books are also quite good for local woody plant recommendations. The books are old, but the material is still valid.

"What are the chances that I'll be moving dormant borer larve at the same time?"

There could be young larva in the stems or eggs in the soil.

• spartangardener
    17 years ago

I would try letting the suckers grow up again. A mature highbush cranberry on our property appeared to croak when I first moved into my house 5 years ago, and I cut it to the ground. THe wood was rotted at teh base (it was in moist shade), and looked like the crown of the plant was even damaged. New growth emerged, and I've had to prune it heavily twice to keep it about 6-7' tall since then. I'd let it try again before ripping out entirely.

• bkoopman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I actually have Leon Snyder's book. I'll refer to it and, of course, the U of M Extension site to ID the plant. It has palmate, maple shaped leaves of about 2" wide, deep green. The flowers are flat and similar to a lacecap hydrangea. It was a beautiful shrub. I have allowed it to resucker. The plant grows in relative isolation on a small rock retaining wall. I've decided that if it makes it a second time, it has earned its place. If not, well, I will learn enough between now and then to make a more informed decision then.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner