Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Hypothetical tree seedlings business: what species?

nick_b79
11 years ago

I'm toying with the idea of selling excess tree and shrub seedlings on Craigslist for a few bucks each. See, I love to plant tree seeds; I can't resist grabbing a handful of nuts or berries when I see them. I'll save the best one or two for my yard, but then I'm stumped with what to do with the rest. I feel bad killing them, so I pawn them off to friends, family, coworkers, etc. However, I'm thinking that if I purposely grew a few select varieties specifically for sale, I could make some extra cash on the side.

What varieties of seed-propagated trees and shrubs do you think would be most marketable in the Twin Cities area on Craigslist or maybe at a local farmer's market? I have 100 hybrid chestnut seedlings I'll need to get rid of next spring, so that's already on the table. They grew so well, I want to order more nuts this fall! Think there's a market for them? My Russian walnuts, buartnuts and hybrid hazels are also looking really good. I'm practicing my grafting technique, but still don't feel comfortable selling grafted plants yet. Thanks!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider