Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hypothetical tree seedlings business: what species?

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 0:56

I'm toying with the idea of selling excess tree and shrub seedlings on Craigslist for a few bucks each. See, I love to plant tree seeds; I can't resist grabbing a handful of nuts or berries when I see them. I'll save the best one or two for my yard, but then I'm stumped with what to do with the rest. I feel bad killing them, so I pawn them off to friends, family, coworkers, etc. However, I'm thinking that if I purposely grew a few select varieties specifically for sale, I could make some extra cash on the side.

What varieties of seed-propagated trees and shrubs do you think would be most marketable in the Twin Cities area on Craigslist or maybe at a local farmer's market? I have 100 hybrid chestnut seedlings I'll need to get rid of next spring, so that's already on the table. They grew so well, I want to order more nuts this fall! Think there's a market for them? My Russian walnuts, buartnuts and hybrid hazels are also looking really good. I'm practicing my grafting technique, but still don't feel comfortable selling grafted plants yet. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hypothetical tree seedlings business: what species?

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:19

Cottonwoods, lots and lots of the ones that get real big and make it look like it is snowing in June.

Your phone will be ringing off of the hook if you sell those!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here