Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missys23

Bought plants and their zones

missys23
16 years ago

Hi, im pretty new to these forums and new to MN for a year now. I recently bought some plants from one of those greenhouses you find in grocery store parking lots. They were getting rid of everything and I got 2 flats of perennials for $4. I was so excited! What I noticed is that once I got them home the tags said they were for zone 5, not 4. Will they survive the harsh winters here? I got some Lavendar (Munstead), St Johns Wort, Foxglove, Hollyhock, Lupines. Will the Lavendar and St Johns survive? I have also noticed the same thing when I go to Menards. I saw some Japanese Maple and a few other things. Do these types of plants do well in this zone? I am north of the cities in Linwood, right above Forest lake. If they are selling certain plants locally should I not be concerned with what the tags say? Sorry if I sound silly.

Comments (13)

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

When I see things I like I try to research before I buy, especially if they are expensive. However, I seem to end up with some questionable impulse purchases every year. Just because they are sold locally does not mean they are hardy (Japanese Maple at Menards). On the other hand, there are instances where the tag says Zone 5, but the plants have been perfectly hardy or sometimes survive a few years at least. Even when doing research you may not find a consistent answer to hardiness. Local information (experiences) are your best sources if you can find them.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Lots of people are pushing the zone due to recently warmer winters. Some people have some luck with that, especially if they have a microclimate in their yard.

Our zone is still officially 4. Even many zone 4 plants have been lost in recent years because the lack of snow cover means less protection during freeze-thaw cycles.

Of course, even if the plant seller guarantees their stock for a year, that only applies to plants labeled for the local zone (or colder). So maybe recent plant hypes resulting in massive returns have influenced sellers to be more conservative in their labeling.

It's not always easy to discern, but even the temporary stores separate their plants into annual and perennial categories. At least, all that I've been to have.

The lavender will likely not survive, I'm basing that on percentages and what I've heard from many other gardeners. The st john's wort probably will, unless it's a frou-frou cultivar. Lupine and foxglove are fussy plants, some can grow 'em, some can't, so again the seller might be hedging their bets and protecting against loss and/or customer's disappointed expectations.

Best of luck on your selections--and what a great price!

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

The consolation is that you didn't spend a fortune. I've been generally disappointed zone pushing here and stick to zone 4 or lower. And, really, there are so many beautiful plants we can grow. Our Home Depot and Menard's carry a lot of locally (or at least northern) developed and grown things so it really pays to check the labels. Both the big box stores and garden centers will also sell you things that don't have much of a chance of overwintering in our climate.

Adequate winter snow cover does seems to be the key. Can lose even the hardiest of plants to freezing and thawing, wind dessication. The last few years have been iffy with good snow cover.

• missys23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. I moved from California and all of this is so new to me. I will definately be checking labels from now on. Thank you again!

• meeperx
    16 years ago

Lupines need a lot of water-plant it in a wet area or make sure to water it quite a bit-especially with these 90 degree+ days coming up. It's fairly easy to grow from seed-so if the plant flowers-you might want to harvest the seeds for more plants next year.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

I did have lavender survive several winters when I lived on the western side of MN. It was planted in sharply drained, slightly alkaline soil, sandy, gravely, hot sun. (think Mediterraneum). It was on a southeast facing slope that filled in with leaves and snow from the northwest wind. The snow would be more than 6 feet deep some years. Moved, and have never been successful with it since. From what I gather, I had an unusual, but ideal, site. Good luck with it.

Duluthinbloomz: Do you have any recommendations for places to purchase annuals? (For next year).

• windytown
    16 years ago

You don't sound silly, rest assured.

You have good questions and that's how we all learn.

Hollyhock and lupines have come back for me in the past three years and reseed like crazy.

Foxgloves have never come back for me, mother plant wise, but also reseed and bloom really late in August.

I've had little success with lavender and haven't tried St. Johns Wort.

• thisismelissa
    16 years ago

You know what I'd do if I were you? There are 2 really great reference books that are fantastic to keep in the car for just this sort of occasion:
    Tree & Shrub Gardening for Minnesota & Wisconsin by Engebretson & Williamson
    Perennials for Minnesota & Wisconsin by same authors.

I have found these to be fantastic resources at the garden centers. They even suggest what are the better varieties of the plants listed.

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

I live in Maple Grove and have had Mumstead lavender in my garden for at least 7 years. Moved it last year from a perennial bed to the herb bed which has less enriched soil and it has grown even better. It is a nice plant but nothing like those grown by my sister-in-law in the San Francisco area.

I grew St. John's Wort for many years and finally pulled it out to make room for other herbs. Never had any problems with it not being hardy. It grew thick and tall.

My lupine has also been hardy. It is one of the dwarf varieties (Galexy mix). Will see if it will survive being dug up and transplanted. It is in a pot now waiting for my new front yard bed to be finished. I also have a lupine started from seed this spring.

Foxglove has survived as a first year plant then bloomed and died the second year.

Last fall I planted several hollyhock seedlings and only two of them survive today. Maybe I pulled some out when I was weeding this spring. :-) Many years ago I bought a few at a nursery which survived the winter to bloom the next summer.

Previous years I have mulched heavily with shredded leaves to help keep soil moist in the summer so have not had any of the above self-seed. I am using less mulch now so maybe there will be some surprises next spring.

I have always mulched heavily over the winter which helps prevent winterkill.

Sounds like you got a great price so you can experiment and find where you have microclimates that can sustain tender plants. Good luck and have fun learning about gardening in MN.

Bobbie

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Hoghaven: for annuals my first stop is Cummings on West Arrowhead Rd... on the left above Arlington but below Haines. They're not in the phone book and don't advertise - except in April when the paper carries the little garden center/greenhouse guide. It's a small operation, open from the very end of April until maybe mid-June - and you'd miss the place if they didn't put out a big brown sign when they open. They specialize in annuals but carry herbs and vegetables as well. No trees or shrubs, and maybe a small handful of perennials tucked away in a corner behind the checkout. Everything from there is just so beautifully grown and healthy, and consequently a little more expensive than the big boxes. I always get my "Dreams" petunias, statice, impatiens, portulaca, and pansies from them. After Cummings, I've also gotten some pretty nice "Harlequin" dahlias, snapdragons, etc. at the temporary parking lot garden center at the Super One by the mall. Then it's Wal-mart for the gap fillers - the dianthus they sell as "sun annuals" which tend to come back for me - and things I might want to try for cheap. But definitely, check Cummings out next season.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

Thanks DuluthinBloomz - I drive by Cummins frequently, but will check it out now. Will try the Super One, too. I think its hard to find things like statice so thats great information.

• missys23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW, thank you all for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated. thisismelissa, I will look for those books you suggested.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Another good book is Perennials for Cold Climates by Mike Heger. I've had a Munstead Lavender survive for 4 years now, however I always know that it could be gone come spring.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm