Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_2008

pergola shade

clueless-2008
15 years ago

We have just added a outdoor kitchen and pergola to our backyard and are looking for the right plant/vine to grow on our pergola to provide some relief from the sun during the hot hours of the day. Because we live in a state where most of the months are cold, I don't know what the best choice would be. I am looking for something that does not attract bees and wasp as I have 3 small children. I am also wondering if I should grow them in a pot on the ground or if I should look into some hanging baskets? Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

I'm interested in the answers to this question, too. And if anyone has pics of their pergola, it would be great to see them!

• jel48
    15 years ago

I don't have any pics, but I'm thinking anything with flowers is likely to attract bees and wasps. What about some kind of ivy instead?

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

I have both climbing hydrangea (H. petiolaris) and clematis
    and have not seen bees by either plant. Thats not to say they dont go there, just that neither is a big draw.
    Also, the Kiwi vine called Arctic beauty, has almost no floral display, but does have beautiful leaves. Hardy to
    zone 3.
    I hope you arent making your children afraid of bees. They are really one of the 'good guys'. Without bees, we wouldnt have much in the way of flowers or plants.
    When my kids were little, they learned to keep their distance, but sometimes we would play "I spy", and creep up on bees doing their dances in the flowers. Gave me a good chance to explain about the good works they perform for us.
    Pondy

• clueless-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there a type of Ivy that grows pretty quickly to provide coverage this year still? Or would the climbing hydrangea or clematis grow more quickly? I really like both of these flowers, but again wonder about the bees.
    Two of my kids have been stung by bees and wasps and that is why they are afraid of them. Before this they were not afraid and we talk about how important they are to the environment.
    I will try to get a pic and download it.

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Truthfully, I've never grown ivy. Always heard it was a thug. climbing hydrangea is very slow growing at first.
    Mine never had a flower until year 5. I planted the clematis with the hydrangea to cover the pergola quickly.

I have a honeysuckly that used to grow up a trellis against my stairway. ( accidentally hit it with round up)
    Anyway, that attracted hummingbirds like crazy, but I didnt ever notice bees.

I was stung once by about 5 or 10 yello jackets. What ex-cruciating pain! They normally nest underground, unseen until you see them crawling into the tiny hole. Regular bees wont sting unless you disturb them in some way, and big old bumble bees almost never. But yello jackets are terrifying.

Good luck in your search clueless. Pondy

• ginkgonut
    15 years ago

You could try one of the marginally hardy wisteria like Aunt Dee. Questionable whether it will ever bloom very much, but it grows like a weed.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

I would love to add a pergola to part of our deck. I just mentioned how much I love pics in another thread....so I hope you get a chance to share a pic of your pergola very soon!

Kristy :)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

What about a grape?

Jenny P

• clueless-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grapes attract birds and we eat under the pergola, I don't want bird droppings on the table. Thanks for the input though, I really appreciate everyone giving me their advice. I think I might try some clematis and hydrangea. Not positive yet.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

This might be a silly option....what about growing hops? I'm not sure where you are located and these might be easier to come by than I know. I was lollygagging at Fair's Nursery in Osseo a couple of summers ago and they had hops growing on a free-standing pergola and they were gorgeous!! (I found a pic online)

Just a thought!
    Kristy :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ditas
    15 years ago

Check out 'Sweet Autumn Clematis' - will cover your pergola in 1 season with lovely scented, little white blossoms like a bridal canopy!

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    15 years ago

I know you have ruled out grapes, but I thought I would throw this in anyway. I have a Jung's King of the North grape, 3 seasons old. The birds only bother it in the fall for about 2 days. (Thats how long it takes for them to eat every grape) I have not noticed any droppings on the patio area. I think if you have a hot, dry season, yellow jackets may eat the grapes, but thats true with about every blooming plant. I get a kick out of seeing the grape clusters above my head and everyone likes to sit under it. This year, I have not done the pruning I usually do and 1 plant is totally covering a 3 x 8 foot structure. I think in another year it could cover a 6 x 10 foot area easily. I had the same grape at a previous residence and canned 12 to 14 quarts of concentrated grape juice every year from one plant.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    15 years ago

I just wanted to update. The grapes on my arbor are getting ripe, but I probably won't get any. I haven't seen any bees or birds bothering them, but something has been up there enjoying a feast. Whatever it is, it has knocked many of the grapes down on the patio area. I haven't wanted to encounter the mysterious dinner guest as I have already seen a raccoon in the bird feeder. One morning there was a very large smashed down area in the flower bed and the bird feeder had been pulled down. Bears? Maybe a raccoon family. Whatever it is, it can have the grapes.

• janroze
    15 years ago

Teach the kids the difference betwee stinging insects. On a tour last night we were told that the little honey bees are concentrating so on getting the nectar that they won't sting. Two of us dared to stroke the bees and nothing happened. Bumble bees on the other hand are very testy.
    Wisteria needs an extra strong structure or it can weight it down-literally. Their are two kinds of vines. Been a while since I researched them, but one will damage the wood by the way it attaches to clime. Honey suckle can be a bit rangey. Ivy can envelope the structure and neighboring structures, as can Virginia Creeper, I think it is. I find clematis much more manageble, but do your homework. There is a wide variety of hardiness, size, color and pruning times. 'Sweet Autumn Clematis' might be just the ticket. I have also heard of a blue hyacinth bean that many seem to love, but it might be shorter.
    Gramma Jan

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH