Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjmarq

I ignored the signs

sjmarq
15 years ago

In general I'm a bit of a lazy gardener. I figure if plants can't thrive in my yard then they do not deserve my time and attention. I love carefree plants like peony, clematis, hosta and up until yesterday - iris.

I've had iris for many many years and love the many varieties I have. This year one of the patches started looking poor, but I ignored it. They went downhill fast in the last two weeks and last night I finally got out there and discovered the section destroyed by iris borer. I'd never knew to watch for them - mistakingly thought they were carefree plants. Uhg these things are ugly. I saved about 5 fans of a very large clump and now have to decide just how much I love the iris.

It doesn't sound like a LOT more maintenance - cleanup of leaves in the fall which I usually do anyway, sprinkle on some Merit in spring, then watch and destroy any infestations. It's the last step I'm concerned about.

Have any of you experience infestation in your yards? How much work is it to keep it to a minimum?

Sandy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus