Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

Isn't summer wonderful?

heleninramsey
15 years ago

I find summer in the garden to be simply wonder-ful...here are some of the things that I am wondering:

How can you spend a day weeding and then walk out and find a three foot wood sorrel or spurge directly in your line of sight? Did it grow there over night? Was I blind the day before?

Why do the deer eat the flowers off of my lilies and iris and not the stupid flowers off the hostas, that would be helpful. (I don't like the hosta flowers, sorry hosta fanatics)

Why do gnats dive into my eyes and ears? So MEAN !

How come I have a hard time starting easy seeds in the garden (like zinnias and marigolds) but petunias and verbena volunteer in the rocks, cracks in the sidewalk, mulch and many other unhospitable spaces?

Why does it always rain crazy hard the week that the delphiniums are in perfect bloom?

What the heck ate my Russian Sage? I didn't think anything ate Russian Sage....

What on earth does that squirrel have against that one particular plant...it keeps tossing it out of the pot.

Why does the grass grow so well in the garden but I can't get it to grow in parts of the lawn?

Why does the phone ring 5 minutes after I ditch my garden gloves and plunge my hands directly into the dirt? This is also the time that my big yellow dog notices that I am at his level and that, obviously, I am in need of Labrador kisses.

There are more...I will be thinking of them when I get to work outside tonight. What are you all wondering?

Helen.

Comments (5)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

What does the squirrel have against Irises? It keeps digging them out and tossing them!

How come I keep planting PURPLE? It seems like 90% of the flowers blooming in my yard are PURPLE, I Know I planted other colors! At least I think I did..........

Jenny P

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

I'm also wondering about the grass germinating in my flower bed too. I KNOW I put the seed down on the bare patch in the lawn 25ft away from the flower bed.
    Why do the deer at my house like hosta flowers and lilies and hostas and even peppers? Helen if you really want to get red of your hosta flowers I'll be more than happy to send you my deer to do your pruning. I won't even charge. te-he

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrels are like, cute terrorists... they just cause all sorts of little problems when you are not looking.

My garden was looking really purple too earlier, soon it will go all yellow. I'll be dying for pink or red, I know I put them in too.

Thanks for the deer offer...I guess I should be glad they have left the leaves be. I think the deer are in league with the squirrels, its an animal thing.

Helen.

• Nettie
    15 years ago

Why do the chipmunks have to bury their stash of sunflowers in my patio pots?
    Why do spidermites and aphids have to be so small? I don't carry my reading glasses outside, don't they know that?
    Why does just the top of the conifer die thus making the nursery guarantee useless?
    Why do my fussed over hanging baskets look like crud when the neglected ones on mainstreet look gorgeous?

• jodikay
    15 years ago

Yup, i planted purple flowers to bloom in june and july flowers for july. is anything going to bloom in august?

Why do my cats do their 'thing' in freshly turned over dirt right before I plant?

Why do i try to grow roses when i know it attracts japenese beetles to the garden? and they are just terrible this year!

Why doesn't my russian sage grow big? my mom's is huge! Its very puny looking. yuck.

I am going on a garden tour sunday and plan on taking a good hard look at the colors blooming in other peoples gardens. that being said, i guess I plant the colors that appeal to me the most..purples, pink, blues, white and soft yellow. NO orange for me.

It's been a real pleasure to garden this year after the terrible heat and drought of last year. I was thinking last nite that this is what gardening is about as I puttered here and there.

Sponsored